RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:50 am 
Hawkeye

I just heard the news that she is out of competition. This brings up something I feel strongly about. I think every high school and college coach should repeatedly remind their would-be professional athletes that they are one injury (or illness) away from never competing again, and better have a backup plan for life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:02 am 
Buckeye

Anybody at the higher end of any sport knows that from an early age.
Won't need to be told that it can end in an instant.
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:45 am 
Hunter

What is certainly worse than being a world class athlete and then suffering a career ending injury, is to be ALMOST a world class athlete and suffer the pain of not reaching a goal that was almost attained. Many years ago, when the U.S. Army was the sponsor of the Modern Pentathlon program, I was an Inspector General at the installation where this program resided. Modern pentathlon consists of five events, but the majority of those in the program came from either running or swimming competition and then were extensively trained in the other events of equestrian, fencing, and shooting. Every one of the team members, and especially those that did not achieve the very highest scores and thus were not on the actual competitive team that represented the nation, had been leading athletes in their youth. Often they were the best runner, or best swimmer that their high school had ever produced, but just not quite good enough to be of Olympic caliber in those sports. So as superb athletes they tried the pentathlon. Many were truly unable to come to grips with their coming close, but not close enough to the glory that they thought they would achieve all of their earlier life. The families of these athletes were even worse, looking at rooms full of trophies and being unable to recognize that their son's journey was now essentially over and that a lifelong of training, expense and often family deprivation as a sacrifice to the endeavors of their athlete son were not ending in Olympic glory, and sometimes, not even in making the team to go to the Olympics. They would insist that these results were due to favoritism to the other athletes or some other misconduct that damaged their son's chances. In a few cases, Congressional involvement in these complaints led to me as the I.G. being told to investigate how the program chose its top members and to determine if anything untoward was going on. I never found the least evidence of any impropriety, a conclusion that gave no satisfaction to these unhappy athletes or their parents. What these young men went on to do after this part of their life is something that I have often wondered about.

-"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will soon be plowing for those that didn't."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:19 am 
Hawkeye

vito wrote:
The families of these athletes were even worse, looking at rooms full of trophies and being unable to recognize that their son's journey was now essentially over and that a lifelong of training, expense and often family deprivation as a sacrifice to the endeavors of their athlete son were not ending in Olympic glory, and sometimes, not even in making the team to go to the Olympics.

In other words, the sudden traumatic realization that they were going to have to get an education/training and then a job, just like everybody else. :wink: :lol:

Social Distancing since 1954.

#Barack'sLiesMatter

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:45 am 
Buckeye

I'll definitely be the first to state that I was in no way a talented athlete in my younger years, as my athletic ability rates in the negatives. I was gladly not pressured by my folks to push myself athletically, as we had other priorities in our lives.

That was 40+ years ago and the pressure for athletic achievement wasn't nearly as strong as it is now for kids and adults now. I think of kids that grew up like Tiger Woods, where they were basically groomed and grown to be a leading sports figure.

I also wonder what happens to these kids in 20 years after they were pushed at such a young age to be so athletic. Who tells the star pitcher of the varsity high school team that his consistent 90+mph fast balls were going to give him arthritis or a blown out shoulder at 35? Who tells the star defenseman on the football team that the concussions and torn up knees will make him an old man at 40?

I saw the interview with Biles and Mrs. Aqualung and I had to chuckle as she talked about her pains and problems getting up to train and she spoke about being 24 like she was 60...

I just have to ask...what are these parents thinking by pushing these kids to do this damage to their bodies? I get some that want them to succeed in what they may want to do, or even try for a scholarship to a college, but I honestly question the sanity of some of these people who seem to have just bred to create a pro athlete.

I guess it's just old, fat guy thinking on my part...

Aqualung

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:34 am 
Hawkeye

Thats life in any endeavor you might choose. I've known guys to spend everything to get their pilot
license, go in debt, then get blind sided with a physical problem that they have to study something different.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:09 pm 
Buckeye

Now she says she's not injured, but needed a mental break.
I give her credit for having the guts to admit it but at the same time
appreciate the absolute mental toughness that some used to win
at the highest levels. Kinda surprised given what she's accomplished
to see her bail, her confidence has to be really rattled.
Usually pros can't just quit in the middle of the game, betting
in private her team mates are none too happy.
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:07 pm 
Hawkeye

When I heard Simone Biles pulled out of the gymnastics competition for "health" reasons, I assumed it was an illness or a positive Kung Flu test (the latter has already sent a couple of our athletes home early).

Then I saw an article - NBC, I think - that was actually celebrating and applauding Biles for pulling out and "protecting her mental health." She just wasn't feeling it today, or something.

Never mind that she shafted the rest of her teammates, and handed Russia the gold medal in that category, in the process.

I find it hard to blame a young girl like Biles for that decision, but I do blame her coaches. Whatever happened to "There is no 'I' in 'team?'" What happened to sportsmanship and competitive desire?

(EDITED: Not a "young girl" at all; Biles is actually 24 and old enough to know better. This is probably the last Olympics she'll have a chance of competing in. And she didn't even try . . . what??? :evil: )

And it's the latest data point in a pattern. You had the woman (or transgender) some weeks ago placed third in Olympic selection but then decided to hog all the attention by declaring her (?) intent to burn the American flag on the Olympic podium if she (?) won.

Then the epic crashing and burning of the Official Team USA Purple-Haired Lesbian Soccer Squad in their first game against Sweden, after taking a #BLM knee in unison during introductory ceremonies.

Then the official Team USA #BLM Pro Basketball Squad losing their first game to France.

Sorry, but Team USA this year is all about the feelz, not the performance.

Tonight the media is celebrating Simone Biles not for winning a medal, or even trying valiantly to win and failing, but for giving up. To bravely proclaiming herself a victim instead of a victor.

And they wonder why American TV ratings for the Olympics are in the tank?

--"Where am I to go now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight Zone."

-- "Freedom is not free. Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free." -- Jerry Pournelle

Last edited by ProfessorWes on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:23 pm 
Hawkeye

Her name will become a verb: "Hey, don't Simone Biles on us now, brothah!" :lol:

Social Distancing since 1954.

#Barack'sLiesMatter

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:43 pm 
Blackhawk

Sorry, but I think she made a very difficult choice, and did it with strength and aplomb. The pressure these young people are under is WAY beyond anything you and I have dealt with. I think she is showing a mature decision to save herself and her team. Should she have done so a month ago? Easy to say yes, but, again, think about the pressure these folks endure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:13 am 
Blackhawk

She'll be just fine.
The name recognition is now worth a fortune for some savvy advertising agency and by now, who hasn't heard of her?
If she had remained in there and placed second, or even won a gold for that matter, you'd only hear about her once.
Might just be a brilliant "ploy" by her "handlers".
She has all of the "qualifications" to be successful in the new "woke" world.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:22 am 
Single-Sixer

The 'Olympics' have become a "rich man's sport". And it has been that way since the " committee" stripped Jim Thorpe of his medals!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:37 am 
Single-Sixer

turd wrote:
Sorry, but I think she made a very difficult choice, and did it with strength and aplomb. The pressure these young people are under is WAY beyond anything you and I have dealt with. I think she is showing a mature decision to save herself and her team. Should she have done so a month ago? Easy to say yes, but, again, think about the pressure these folks endure.

Sorry, but 'saved her team' would be a hard sell.

We had a guy in our squadron who flew enough while home to keep flying time and pay, but got the sniffles when it was time to deploy overseas for a month and bailed with DNIF. Me and others had to take up their load in addition to our own. So no sympathy on the team thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 am 
Hunter

Not to worry....she will write a book of her troubles and make another million!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:29 am 
Hunter

As to parents pushing their kids, I have seen parents living through their kids' accomplishments, often to compensate for what they themselves could not or would not do. And its easy for parents, and an entire family to get caught up in the excitement and praise that comes with really exceptional athletic performance. Years ago I worked with a woman whose oldest son was a champion downhill skier. At 15 he was the junior champion for the Eastern U.S. and was being groomed for the Olympic team a few years down the road. Despite the husband having a very highly paid job, the Mom worked full time to help with the huge tuition costs for a special high school for their son where half the day was academics and half the day winter sports (in Lake Placed, NY). Their son was featured on a cover of Sports Illustrated as one of America's future gold medalists. Then at 18, a year before the Olympic trials, he said he was burned out and wanted to go to a regular high school, and would no longer ski competitively. He parents were totally crushed, talking about the sacrifices that they had made for this child for almost his entire life to further his athletic career, only to see it ended for non-athletic reasons. I also had an Army friend, an accomplished and Board Certified surgeon, who had played Division 1 football as a young man, and whose biggest disappointment was not getting drafted into the NFL. The pressure he put on his oldest son, who oddly had zero interest in football or any sports, was appalling. Despite being a successful surgeon, and a Colonel in the Army, he was trying to reach his childhood dream through his son. Fortunately he realized what was going on in his head and totally backed off and this story had a happy ending. Most kids who are really good athletes have a tough time resisting this kind of pressure, especially when added to it are the coaches and scouts and others who are treating them as if they were angels from on high.

-"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will soon be plowing for those that didn't."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next