LCP Max Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Short story- fired my new LCP Max at the range, 100 rounds of 95 gr Sellier & Bellot and 5 rounds of Fiocchi Extrema 90 gr XTP defensive ammo. All 105 rounds chambered, fired and extracted perfectly. Bad news is the pistol only locked back 2 or 3 times on an empty magazine.

The LCP Max is likely to become my new EDC pocket gun. When I can increase my capacity 160% from my LCR it makes a lot of sense to go back to a semi auto.

Also, for those who don't like plastic or 380 ACP this gun ain't for you.

Long story- I've sworn off being a first run Beta tester for any of the gun manufacturers. Thought I'd always wait 6 months to a year after a pistol has been released to even consider purchasing one. Well, the LCP Max intrigued me to such a degree that I could not resist one and went to purchase it at Cabelas about a week after they were released.

I started carrying in 2009 with a Gen 1 LCP. That gun worked well, never had issues with it but around 2012 or 2013 I switched to carrying an LCR 38 SPL. Figured 5 guaranteed rounds of 38 SPL were preferrable to 7 probable rounds of 380 ACP from a mouse gun. Even though my LCP functioned just fine, I felt more confidence in carrying a 5 shot snubbie with little likelihood of being able to reload while under duress. Eventually I sold my LCP and upgraded to an LCP Custom with better trigger and usable sights (back in the good pricing days). The Custom has functioned well too but I have never carried it regularly and have stuck to pocket carrying my LCR. If I'm wearing pants, I'm carrying a gun and pocket carry is my preferred means of carry.

Didn't think I'd be changing my EDC from a snubbie after almost a decade, but with the introduction of the LCP Max I really started rethinking my pocket carry option. I still feel fine with just 5 rounds. But with the possibility of a true pocket gun that could be 12+1 in about the same footprint and weight as my LCR I started to give serious consideration to buying an LCP Max. With a 160% increase in capacity it was well worth investigating further.

So I couldn't get it out of my mind and with the assurance of great customer service from Ruger in case there are issues with the LCP Max I headed out to Cabelas to pick one up. Prices will eventually come down, but with some cash burning a hole in my pocket I threw caution to the wind and figured the extra bit of dough I spend now will be far better than the impatience I am guaranteed to have consume me for months until I got one.

It only comes with one 10 round magazine so I ordered two 12 round magazines from Grabagun. After a week they finally arrived and the next day I headed to my local indoor range. I preferred the 7 round magazines with the original LCP so I figured I would also prefer the 12 rounders because they offer not only more capacity but a much better grip on the pistol.

At the range I took along 100 rounds of S&B to run through the gun first. Each magazine I would load to full capacity, chamber a round, eject the magazine and load one more. The magazines have been very difficult to seat when loaded to capacity so I wanted to make sure the gun would run at 10+1 or 12+1. All 100 rounds of S&B chambered, fired and ejected just fine. But as stated in the short story above, the slide would only lock back 2 or 3 times of all the fully loaded magazines fired. Though I find this irksome, I am more concerned about the gun feeding properly and it did that fine. I would prefer the gun to fully work as advertised but a slide not locking back is not a deal breaker for me. Could possibly be the gun. Could possibly be the magazines. Not sure. Going to let the magazines sit for awhile fully loaded and make another range trip soon. I have noticed that if I work the slide vigorously it will lock back. If I am not very firm with it then it doesn't lock back.

Accuracy was acceptable. Not a bullseye target pistol but I shot all 105 rounds at 7 yards and kept them all in the 8 ring. Recoil seemed to be a bit better than the original LCP. But a lot of that probably stems from the larger grip making it sit in my hand easier.

Normally I would fire more of my chosen defense rounds to ensure proper function but in these panic buying times I had to be miserly with my Fiocchi Extremas and only shoot 5.
Pros of the LCP Max
-Increased capacity in about the same footprint of the original LCP
-Night sights with a U notch that are actually usable
-No extra safeties; magazine disconnect or external safety
-5 lb trigger
-A true pocket gun. Maybe some guys can fit micro 9's in their pockets but I can't
-Fits most of my original LCP holsters so I don't have to buy tons of new carry gear.
-Extra width though hardly bigger makes the pistol fit in my hand much better and easier to shoot.

I've probably neglected to mention something so ask any questions you may have and if I think of something I'll come back and add it in.

Cholo

Staff member
Yes, nice review!

I don't know what to make of the slide not locking back as it has in other video reviews I've seen. Did it lock back on your defense ammo, the Fiocchi Extrema 90 gr XTP's?

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Cholo said:
Yes, nice review!

I don't know what to make of the slide not locking back as it has in other video reviews I've seen. Did it lock back on your defense ammo, the Fiocchi Extrema 90 gr XTP's?
I loaded the Fiocchi on top of a bunch of the S&B to have a magazine full to capacity the 2ay I intendtocarry it.. So after those five were fired it was the end of shooting the LCP Max and I just unloaded the rest of the remaining range ammo for another trip.

I'm not one to contact customer service right away when I encounter a problem. But a member on the other Ruger forum was having the same issue and when he contacted Ruger they said there was a batch of defective magazines and they were sending him a replacement. So I called too and have one replacement 10 round and one replacement 12 round magazine being shipped to me by Ruger. We'll see if is solved with different magazines.

dogtag69

Bearcat
Like you say a full mag it is hard to seat and after I insert it is nearly impossible to rack the slide the first time I thought something was locking the slide up did yours do this.
Thanks

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
dogtag69 said:
Like you say a full mag it is hard to seat and after I insert it is nearly impossible to rack the slide the first time I thought something was locking the slide up did yours do this.
Thanks
No, once I get a magazine in I have no troubles racking a round in.

dogtag69

Bearcat
Thanks for the quick reply I shot 50 rounds yesterday 5 rounds at time then 11 rounds last time it lockned back every time I was surprised at how well this little thing shot might be because it has sights I can see.

Buck Smith

Bearcat
dogtag69 said:
Thanks
Mine does this too but seems to be getting better. Called Ruger and they told me that this Pistol is not to be loaded with the slide closed as per the owners manual. Kahr pistols also load that way, drop mag, lock slide, then insert loaded mag and release slide to chamber the first round. Should have read the manual I guess.

Thanks for the quick reply I shot 50 rounds yesterday 5 rounds at time then 11 rounds last time it lockned back every time I was surprised at how well this little thing shot might be because it has sights I can see.
The other part is the extra size of the handle. I thought the sights on my Gen 1 LCP were just fine. It shot minute of armadillo and rat just fine! lol My Max shoots great! No issues with anything except it won't fit in my clamshell case without removing the magazine.
gramps