22 rimfire 'turkey shoot' competition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, we have a sesquicentennial celebration for our little village coming up in 2023. A community meeting has been called for 7/28 to discuss possible fund raisers and sponsorship. One of the events that comes to my mind(naturally gun related) would be a 'turkey shoot'. Not shooting live turkeys but a "one shot at a mark" type competition--hit closest to mark wins.
I figure rifles open sights/scoped classes at 50 yards standing off hand, 75 yards sitting unsupported, and 100 yards prone or sitting with bipod . Does this seem competitive enough? I want to give even the more novice shooters a chance rather than scare them off but not get so many classes that there's only 1 or 2 contestants per round.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
a "one shot at a mark" type competition--hit closest to mark wins.
I figure rifles open sights/scoped classes at 50 yards standing off hand, 75 yards sitting unsupported, and 100 yards prone or sitting with bipod . Does this seem competitive enough?
I like this setup. If I lived near you, I'd compete with several different rifles. Drive on! :wink:

Will you be supplying the ammo so all are shooting the same type. A high power round might drop an inch or two at 100 yards but a standard power may drop 7-8 inches. All should be "on the same page".

contender

Ruger Guru
I used to go to a similar shoot. They would use a NRA Bullseye target,, where the 10 ring is about the diameter of a .22. We'd fire 3 rounds, from 25 yds with a perfect score being 30 points. It was quite competitive. We'd do these shoots with both open sights, and scoped guns. Scoped guns were shot from 40 yds.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Fox Mike said:
Will you be supplying the ammo so all are shooting the same type. A high power round might drop an inch or two at 100 yards but a standard power may drop 7-8 inches. All should be "on the same page".
Not a good idea. How is a shooter to know how--or even where--the supplied ammo will shoot in his gun(s)? Let everyone show up with whatever ammo he or she thinks will work best for him or her.

If you're going to mandate shooting supplied ammo, you might as well supply the guns too, or better yet, make everyone shoot the same gun! Now you're back to pretty much straight-up gambling (not skill), and you might as well use shotguns.

I have been involved in this type of fund raising. My thoughts, keep it short and simple to draw in more people. Use a 100 yd smallbore target at 25 or 50 yds. Since it has scoring rings. Allow contestants a shot or maybe at max 5. Again for time sake. Stand and fire for x amount of money. Allow them to repay and enter as much as they want if there is not a back up of people waiting. Have guns and ammo donated by a few folks for those that did not bring 1. Again you will get more people. Set up a ratio XX number of contestants will win a turkey. Figure how many you could give away and still make money. Maybe 1 of 50 will win a turkey by the end of the day.
Having different distance shooting and in other positions than standing all take more time. If you really want to make money, think about getting as many in and out as fast as possible. 10 minutes per shooting session is enough. Less even better.
Have more trained safety officers than you think you need.

BYOA(ammo).
No problem shooting in different "classes" as long as the gun fits the description OR a step below(ie: open/receiver sights can shoot in the scoped class). In fact I'd allow multiple entries up to 3(?) entries per class(but the shooter would have to leave the line and return--no getting "settled in" sort of thing).
Maybe include classes for both 'hunting type' and 'target type' rifles or just hope the guy shooting a scoped 10-22 doesn't get miffed if he loses to some who shows up with an Anschutz????
Maybe a 'jackpot' prize rather than a turkey--easier to stuff $5 back in your pocket than a frozen turkey.
Just saw your post--Good thoughts kmoore, thanks.

Well, I got tied up in a project that prevented me from making the meeting. That's the way life goes around this place, personal interests and good intentions get displaced by things have need to be done RIGHT NOW.
Maybe I can find the time to stop and visit with the woman who invited me to the meeting. She's the local "get things done" person so we'll see how that goes.