Spare mag orientation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folk's, here's my scenario: I'm left handed & carry OWB. I carry my spare mag pouch on my weak (Right) side. Now my question: With the mag in the pouch should'nt the ammo be facing to my rear so when I grab the mag for a reload the rounds will be facing forward for a reload. Otherwise I have to rotate the mag if it's in the mag holster rounds forward? I ask this because I'm told training classes say either hand, spare mag on weak side in mag holster rounds facing forward. Doesn't make sense when seconds might count. Thanks for any input-Dave

I carry spare mags on the non-shooting hand side with bullets to the front. That way, when I pull the mag it is properly oriented to go directly into the magwell.

azleite

Single-Sixer
I guess I should add the mag is stored upside down, so I grab the mag by the baseplate from a kydex mag holster. If I have the rounds forward, when I go to reload the mag is backwards-Dave

Mike J

Hunter
Maybe these will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2CjwfwAYmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2B3ZxOtKTM

If the mag is upside down I can't help... but I will explain how I've been trained... First I'm right handed... mag is kept on my weak left side pointed down in a pouch and the rounds face forward.... this has been debated in the past as to which way the mag should face... but here is the right answer... for your way or mine....

when you reach for the magazine you want the rounds so that your index finger goes on the front of the top round... this is called "indexing the round" this is so that you can feel if the top round is seated right.... it is not unusual for that top round over time to slip a little and you want it right before trying to insert it.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thanks Mike for the videos, now I get it. And Thanks Blume, I have my spare oriented the same way as that instructer-just facing the wrong way. Never knew about the indexing thing until I watched that older guy show it in detail in the vid. This Old Man has some learning to do. Thank's Folk's-Dave

Never really thought about it I just do what feels right. I also carry OWB and am left handed. But I carry cross. My spare mags are on the strongside (left) upside down, bullets facing the rear. I just reach across, pull out the mag with my index finger along the front of the mag.

Friends and I were out at a restaurant / bar about a year ago and we started discussing carrying a gun and training and I mentioned carrying a spare magazine and how I finally got the part they were trying to drill into me about how and why to carry that magazine... so I reached back and removed my spare magazine the way one should and the dern top round was partially extended.. which also demonstrated why you want your index finger so you can feel and reseat if needed that top round, especially if you are in the dark.

tinman

Buckeye
To develop proper muscle memory, you need to repeat a task 2500 times. Here is a drill that can be done literally "at ease" and at pretty much zero cost.

This is some of the "homework" that I give my students:
You will need the following:

1) an EMPTY weapon
2) several EMPTY magazines (for that gun)
3) a towel of sufficient size to cover your lap
4) a comfortable place to sit.....preferably with your feet up.

With the towel covering your lap, dump all the mags onto the towel.....yes dump, you want the mags all jumbled around.
Now, with the EMPTY weapon in your strong hand, use your support hand to locate any one of the mags on your lap, orient it into the proper position (bullet side should face your index finger) and insert it into the mag-well, seating it as if you were loading the gun. Feel free to watch yourself doing each step.
Go no faster than is needed to do each step correctly.
Next, using the mag release, drop that mag back onto your towel and find another mag, locate, orient, insert. Keep repeating the process until you can do it without looking.....then keep doing it. The object here is to do this without looking or even paying much attention. Watch TV, carry on a conversation, etc. but keep practicing.
Wanna step up your game and give your sense of touch a little bit more of a workout? When you can do this drill properly 50 times in a row, replace the towel with a paper sack or a small box. Now your doing the drill without even having peripheral vision to help you out.
But your not done yet. This drill simply trains you hands to identify the magazine and properly orient it for loading.
The next step is for you to decide where and how you will be carrying your extra mag(s) and then practice taking them from that chosen location and getting them into your gun. Very similar to the aforementioned drill, but necessarily more involved due to the location of the carrier and holster you choose.
One thing to remember, it is not practice that makes perfect......it's perfect practice that makes perfect......don't fudge on any of this.
Go slow at first. Speed will come with practice.
With enough repetitions you will be able to do this in the dark with a bear chasing you during a hurricane............ 8)

Here's what "being one with your equipment" looks like:

https://youtu.be/Hgdq1FBYTUE

Sounds good but I think one really needs to practice a full emergency reload... which would be the slide locked back, dropping the empty mag and then inserting the new loaded one and either sling shot the slide or releasing the slide stop....

Now if you really want to get in the groove, practice a "feed way stoppage" where there is still a round in the chamber and another round is jammed up behind it.... try clearing and loading a new mag with one of those in less than 7 seconds..

blume357 said:
Sounds good but I think one really needs to practice a full emergency reload... which would be the slide locked back, dropping the empty mag and then inserting the new loaded one and either sling shot the slide or releasing the slide stop....

Now if you really want to get in the groove, practice a "feed way stoppage" where there is still a round in the chamber and another round is jammed up behind it.... try clearing and loading a new mag with one of those in less than 7 seconds..

Had something similar happen with an M16. I just dropped it and used a 1911. Can't say I've every had a double feed jam on a 1911. I've had bad/slow primers. FTF's, usually due to magazine issues but sometimes a particular JHP design wasn't liked by one 1911 or another.

What I discribed is called a #3 malfunction by Front Sight and is the one part of the testing I can not pass.... it seems simple until you try it in a timed environment.....

You set up the jam, then at the signal you raise the pistol from the ready, aim and pull the trigger and of course nothing happens you then tilt the pistol to determine the problem... pull the slide back and lock it, drop the magazine, rack the slide three times, insert a fully loaded magazine, rack the slide to load a round and return to the aimed position. ... sounds simple until you try to do it in less than 6.5 seconds...

My mags are with the bullet facing to the rear, because when I grab and reload that is how it comes up the the mag well properly for me! Don't try to change me. I have done it for years, I don't plan on changing!
gramps

We trained that is really does not matter on spare mag. orientation, each new shooter was to try both ways and stick with what worked best for them.
When doing gun malfunction drills, have powder/primmer empty handloads or better yet buy dummies.
I doubt many practice gun stoppages, but if you carry for SD you really should learn how to get the gun back into action if or when that happens.
Don't be the guy who has a stoppage and raises his hand for help.

The defensive handgun course I've taken at Front Sight that last four days has some malfunctions on the text. They really don't spend enough time drilling these in before giving the test. They of course teach both tactical and emergency reloads. After that there are three malfunctions you learn to deal with: Failure to fire and failure to eject are pretty easy... Just look, tap, rack and put the target back in your sights. Then there is the "freeway stoppage" malfunction. This one I have never been able to do in the time allowed.. which is 6.5 seconds and usually I fumble it anyway.

We called the drill problems, #1 mostly cleared most the problem. #1 Tap, Rack, Go. If the gun failed to fire, Tap bottom of mag. as they can get released by accident. Rack the slide once, to clear and load or reload the chamber. Go is firing the gun. (sometimes the chamber was just empty).
#2 Double trouble, that is for a jam or other failure that #1 steps did not get the gun back in operation. Strip the mag. out of the gun. Rack the slide several times and look for a jam or a stuck round. If its clear put another mag. into the gun and rack slide again. Then shoot.
Then the question is what if #2 did not resolve the problem. You have options depending on the situation. Repeat #2 with another mag. Go to your backup weapon or retreat are some options.
With practice either can be done in seconds. #2 should be done behind cover if their is cover available and bring the gun up close to your body to see the problem.
#1 can be done in the firing position with arms extended and still aiming. Although it is better to work a gun problem up at your body, not at arms extended.
I am sure there are other methods some teach that still get the job done.

I understand that way of thinking, but you know listening to other folks opinion and sometimes following it is not a bad idea.... that's one of the most important things I've learned here on this forum. Every once and a while I actually find a tis bit of good knowledge here. :)

Especially if reloading in the dark you want to 'index' the top round on the mag before inserting it.
Also, if actually in a 'fight' it's best to not take your eyes off the target to look at the magazine.

Latest posts