Ruger American Ranch, 5.56

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've some experience with different Ruger American rifles, and I'm well pleased with them all.

I've been lookin' and hankerin' for the Ranch version in 5.56, which takes AR magazines, but they are scarce.

I found one on-line over the weekend, coincidentally at a local gun store. I clicked buy now, and picked it up today.

Haven't shot it yet, but I've no reason to think I wont be pleased. :mrgreen:

hittman

Staff member
Good buy!

I think an AR-mag capable rifle is a great item to have.

I recently got a Remington 7615 Police. Being left handed the pump action is way more convenient that a bolt action.

Don't think I've every heard a bad thing said about the American series of Ruger rifles.

hittman said:
Good buy!

I think an AR-mag capable rifle is a great item to have.

I recently got a Remington 7615 Police. Being left handed the pump action is way more convenient that a bolt action.

I've thought the same thing about AR-Mag-capable non-autos.

And I missed the boat with the Remington pump. Always figured I could get one, until I couldn't. :?

nekvermont

Buckeye
I just recently bought one of these. I only have 20 rounds through it now but my first impression was that the bolt was terribly hard to operate while cycling rounds through it. I wouldn't think that it should be this tight. When you shoot yours I would appreciate your thought on yours. Thanks.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have had one for several years now.
I really like it and it shoots very good.
I mounted a Leupold scope on it.
I haven't shot it much farther , but I can hit clay pigeons at 200 yards very easily with it. That is of course when they are not flying.

As far as the bolt being hard to cycle.
Mine is the same especially if you try to cycle it slow.
That is the only complaint I have with mine.
Other than that it is a good gun and I really like shooting it.

nekvermont said:
I just recently bought one of these. I only have 20 rounds through it now but my first impression was that the bolt was terribly hard to operate while cycling rounds through it. I wouldn't think that it should be this tight. When you shoot yours I would appreciate your thought on yours. Thanks.

That's one recurring report in the reviews, the bolt being rough and/or stiff.

A previous one I owned, in 7.62x39 had a little hitch in the bolt operation. I sprayed it with dry moly and never gave it much more thought. Either I got used to it or it smoothed itself out. I don't remember.

Anyway, when I get this little rifle to the range, I'll pay attention to the bolt operation, and report back accordingly. 8)

WAYNO.

MADDOG 521

Single-Sixer
I have one in 7.62X39 and the only thing that I do not like is that the bolt does not lock into place. Loaded or empty, safety on or off the bolt can be cycled. Other than that it's a great rifle.

Okay, Heliman and I wrung this rifle out on the range today.

First, the bolt operation...It was extremely stiff to operate while chambering a round. While in a mechanical rest, there was no way to chamber a round without it pushing the rifle out of the cradle. Fortunately, it loosened up substantially after just a few magazine-loads. I do believe the culprit was the magazine itself. I was using only a (new) Bushmaster, all metal magazine. It has tremendous spring tension. Next time, I'll bring some different mags to experiment with. In the meantime, the magazine I used became much more usable.

Next, and this is where I start fabricating excuses... :oops:

I did not shoot this rifle very well today. 2 to 3 inch (100 yard) groups are not acceptable. My excuses are, I used only ball ammo, and I hope that the groups will shrink when using decent ammo. Also, when Heliman shot the rifle with the same ammo, he shot a 1" group. So, I'm apparently to blame for much of the dismal accuracy today.

The other excuse, and I've said the same thing before with the scope I was using, the Hog Plex scope has a handy but very busy reticle that might be great for hunting, but it completely obliterates the bull area of the targets we were using. It was difficult for precision work. Next time out, the rifle will wear a different scope.

recumbent

Buckeye
I have a american predator in 223. I disassembled the bolt cleaned and lubed it and it cycles better. Mine shoots 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with my reloads. It likes 77 grain SMK bullets.

hittman

Staff member
WAYNO said:
I'm apparently to blame for much of the dismal accuracy today.

Whoa! Good Lord man …. Get a grip. This is not something you admit or type on a gun forum! :lol:

I'd go with …..

Rock in your shoe
Sun in your eyes
Fierce cross wind
Junk ammo …. Even if you reloaded them yourself
Cheap scope *oops I see that one is already taken*

You know …… I know where there is a good supply of steel cased 7.62x39 ……. Wondering now if I "need" one of these in that caliber. - ??? -

hittman said:
WAYNO said:

Whoa! Good Lord man …. Get a grip. This is not something you admit or type on a gun forum! :lol:

I'd go with …..

Rock in your shoe
Sun in your eyes
Fierce cross wind

You know …… I know where there is a good supply of steel cased 7.62x39 ……. Wondering now if I "need" one of these in that caliber. - ??? -

Truth is, I did have a rock in my shoe, sun and rain in my eyes, and there was a tornado blowing at the range. Considering all that, I should be bragging that I was able to shoot a three inch group. :mrgreen:

blammer

Single-Sixer
Bolt will loosen a bit after a couple hundred cyclings, but I've not gotten it silky smooth yet. Only ones I've had problems with were the ones with Ruger rotary mags and, with tweaking, even they smoothed and got reliable. I spray Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner once in a while on it as lube, but especially inside the bolt through the back. You can do this with the One Shot because it's a dry film lube that won't gum things up.

1 MOA accuracy is doable by me on a good day with a bipod attached. It's more accurate than I am.

Cdog

Bearcat
I've had mine for a few weeks.

The AR magazine ain't push feed bolt action friendly, at least not for bench shooting.

I can't ease one into the chamber. I use one quick motion and it works fine.

As the round leaves the mag the heavy spring pressure causes it to leap upward. This makes for less than ideal feed for an average turnbolt shooter.

I like the idea of an AR compatible turnbolt, but I may look at getting another stock for varmint and bench shooting.

Accuracy with 55gr cookie cutter handloads is ok. I have some more precision crafted loads to try when the wind and rain allows.

I really like the American rifles. They're simple, utilitarian, and quite accurate. My kind of rifle!

WAYNO said:
hittman said:
WAYNO said:

I'd go with …..

Rock in your shoe
Sun in your eyes
Fierce cross wind

Truth is, I did have a rock in my shoe, sun and rain in my eyes, and there was a tornado blowing at the range. Considering all that, I should be bragging that I was able to shoot a three inch group. :mrgreen:

Musta been when I wasn't shooting…..just sayin'. :wink:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I have one and love it! I added the Nodak Spud sights which are very functional and well made for what they cost. My one and only gripe is that the M16A1 style 20 round metal mags which work great in my AR's do not feed well at all. Every plastic mag I have ever tried including the OEM Magpul 10 round works great so I'm not too worried about it.

I can see how a magazine designed for proper operation in a semi-auto rifle would have a pretty serious spring to insure feeding a round during the millisecond of time when the bolt is back far enough to allow the ejection/reload function. The relatively heavy recoil spring is designed to slam that bolt forward right smartly to insure full chambering during the next mllisecond allowed for that function. Both of these requirements might produce bolt manipulation effort not required in the typical sporting bolt rifle. Sounds like magazine selection will be a serious consideration, and I'd not find that to be too onerous. JMHO :D

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The problem is not the spring, but rather the feed lips on the metal mags are a bit too short. They allow the next round to get pushed upwards as the bolt travels back, then it nosedives into the top of the action as the bolt comes forward. As said before, this doesn't happen with either of my AR's so it's likely just a nuance of the RAR.