Hornady LEVERevolution 44 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TKG

Bearcat
My question is—can the 225 gr. FTX LEVERevolution ammo be safely fired in a Ruger Deerfield 44 magnum carbine? The advertised muzzle velocity is 1410 FPS.
Ammo reference #92782. Is it powerful enough to cycle the action with 225 gr. bullet? The case is a tad shorter than regular 44 mag ammo. My rifle uses the rotary mags. Thanks in advance. TKG

TKG

Bearcat
Ok, I have done some homework and reading. This ammo is recommended for lever guns and pistols according to Hornady website. If failure to cycle the action is the only problem, I can live with that. We shall see! I want to shoot a little lighter load to ease stress on the rifle. Does this make sense or am I missing something? TKG

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
It's basically the bullet that makes them good for lever guns.
They are made so you can shoot a pointed bullet in a lever gun.
The bullet on them is soft and won't set off the primer in the round in front of it in case the gun is dropped or something that causes a hard impact.
If you put hard pointed bullets in a lever gun there is a good chance the bullet could impact the primer in the round ahead of it setting it off.

I don't see any reason they wouldn't work in other guns.

RSIno1

Hunter
When working up a reliable load for my carbine (tube fed) that would also work in my Super Blackhawk I was nearly to the max pistol load using 240 grain hollow points.