Shipping Services

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
Has anyone used a service like Shipmygun.com or similar? Last time I sent a handgun, FedEx wanted well over $100 to ship it. I'm getting ready to sell a couple of my 327s and need a more economical option. Any feedback on shipping services is welcome.

IraIII

Bearcat
I like to ship from my local ffl he can ship USPS priority mail. He gets a fee for boxing etc, the gun goes on his books, and if it is lost in transit he deals with shipper and batfe. I find cost to be less for ffl fee and shipping than sending it myself.

IF (big if right now) you can find a cooperative FFL who doesn't gouge you, that would be the best option. I handled quite a number of firearms shipments when I held an FFL and didn't charge much for the service especially if it was a known customer.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
FedEx recently changed their policy on shipping firearms overnight. Now firearms can go express or ground. You may want to try and get a price from them again.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html

In that link, where does it say the gun can be shipped ground? Their directions make it look easy enough, but i can't see where it says express or ground.

On the other hand, I recently shipped a gun back to Ruger for repair, Ruger told me to box it up and I did not have to tell FedEx it was a gun. Yes, I had Ruger repeat that to me to make sure I understood them fully. They said as long as it's being shipped to an FFL you don't need to declare the contents.

It shipped express for $36, ground would have been only $16.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Well, 2 months ago it did not state it had to be overnight but now I see where it says overnight again. I opened up an account with them 2 months ago as an FFL dealer and specifically told them what I was shipping. I can now ship 2-3 day express for about the same price as USPS Priority mail with discounts on my account. FedEx does state you must declare the firearm but not mark the package as such. As Mobuck stated if you can find a local FFL to ship reasonably for you that will be the cleanest route for the seller.

jdowney

Bearcat
I haven't sold a handgun in years, but I do recall that many ffl's won't receive from a non-ffl in any case. Even if you find some service or just bite the bullet and pay fedex's horrendous fee, make sure to check with the receiving ffl before shipping.

Back when I sold a few of my dad's pistols on gunbroker in 2008, I had very good results with my local ffl. Found the guy through gunbroker's listing service and had made a few purchases through him before I decided to sell the pistols. He wouldn't charge regular customers for outgoing shipment (beyond the actual shipping cost of course), but then he was a really good guy to deal with. I've dealt with several easy going ffl's working out of their homes, its worth looking for them as opposed to store front guys. Around here they usually charge $30 or so, store fronts charge more like $50.

With UPS and FedEx, it really depends on how much business you do with them. The more you do the better rates you can ask for and get. Also, they will bend their rules for the high volume shippers. I regularly get FedEx Ground and standard UPS shipments (non overnight) of handguns from the big boy internet gun sellers.

Don't forget, a non FFL can ship a long arm via the USPS, perfectly legal and even shipping Priority Mail with insurance can save money over FedEx and UPS. I have been shipping firearms through USPS for over 20 years and have not ever had one go missing or stolen.

When I ship for a customer, I charge actual shipping/insurance plus $15 for packing and taking it to the PO (I don't get door to door mail delivery where I live but I'm only a mile from the PO). I do the packing because I want it packed a certain way and I get too many shipments that ARE NOT packed good enough and I don't want someone to say it was my fault that a gun got damaged in shipment.

hittman

Staff member
I have not used that or any similar shipping service.

Luckily we still have a couple of "mom and pop" FFL shops that will ship for a $25.00 fee plus actual postage.

I'd search for one like that and wish you luck.

SWR

Single-Sixer
Boxhead ******** What are you referring to please ?? The original post about www.shipmygun.com or something else

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
This is a very timely question! I just did a sample shipment with shipmygun.com and it looks like it can save my buyer a few bucks vs. having my dealer mail it USPS (about $60 for that with the transfer fee).

Rob

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Yes, you have to go to a FedEx HUB, or corporate store of some sort.
In-state deliveries get there the following day at no extra charge, and out of state I use Ground. Very, very reasonable now.

The contracted carriers, like Mail Boxes USA and Kinko's, are still operating under old rules and have a surcharge for their profit margin.

RUT

Single-Sixer
>>I like to ship from my local ffl he can ship USPS priority mail<<

And here you have it. Cheaper to ship and no problems on the receiving end. Many FFLs will only accept shipments from other FFLs.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Dropped off a revolver at my local dealer for mailing on Friday. They didn't bother to ACTUALLY mail it until Tuesday (even though they said it would go out on Friday). Thanks for making me look bad to my buyer, guys. After taking the gun in, it just wasn't a priority for them to get it OUT. And this is a dealer I LIKE.

rob

Even if you find a dealer to use USPS... it can still be pretty darn expensive. My dealer even sends me a copy of the receipt so I can see he isn't gouging me. I think he only charges $25 for himself. I mailed a $2500 revolver to a member using him. When you want to insure something of that value, the price really goes up. I think my final cost for the dealer and shipping plus insurance was $80-$85.

People want to buy Gun XXX from you and you give them your best price... looks like everybody is happy... then you throw in a $60+ shipping fee and then a transfer fee on their end... it looks less and less like a good deal. I sold two handguns last year but it really is hard to make both ends of the transaction happy with the final cost.