RUGER 57 Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Im just wondering if anyone else is shooting the Ruger 57? Are there likes or dislikes..Do you prefer the sights that came with it? Hard to call them iron when the front sight is a green tube. Does anyone use a red dot if so which one. r Im considering a red dot Burris for mine.
TIA Charlie

If I had a 57, it would have a dot optic mounted. Not possible for me to utilize the range capabilities of a 5.7 w/o an optic of some sort. The Burris FastFire III is a great little sight but the only reason I would choose it over a FF2 is because the FF2 battery replacement requires removal of the sight and subsequent loss of zero.
Even the small dot optics can turn something like the 57 into a 100(++) yard handgun.

You're welcome. I've tried at least 1/2 dozen brands and models in the "reasonable" price range but the Burris seem to work better for me. The FF3 is what I'm using on my 22/45 "bragging pistol" and it's great at all ranges.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
My 57 is extremely accurate with the regular sights. I've been toying with a quality red dot on a G19 and so far I shoot better with irons. This is the exact opposite with rifles where I shoot good with irons but much better with a red dot.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Interesting comment regarding accuracy. I've found mine to be very accurate, but with ammo non-existent ive limited my shooting opportunities. Last week my dies arrived and I've started reloading, so I'll have to decide soon whether or not a red dot will be appropriate for me.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
You can get all the 5.7 ammo you want as long as you're willing to spend $1.60 a round! :shock: :?

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
SteelBlue
As a transplanted NH Yankee residing in SW Oregon on the coast I can't or won't spend that much for ammo. I bought the dies and regardless of the experts on the internet who say beware trying to reload this round, I found it's as easy to reload as any other small caliber.
Dr Charlie

With a dot optic, there's zero misalignment of front/rear sights so the only accuracy limiting factor is holding the gun on target. The quality and/or user compatibility of the dot optic makes a big difference.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I have no idea how to reload any caliber and have no reloading equipment, so I'm stuck with buying ammo from the shops. Although I got a box of ammo for the Ruger57 I purchased, I cant find any ammo for this gun for less than $1.30 / round. I'd buy 500 rounds or even more if the price is less than $1.00 / round. If anybody knows where I can get some please post it here.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I bought the 57 in early May and am seriously thinking that I made a mistake in buying it. I really like the gun and am anxious to take it to the range but the high cost of the ammo really puts me off, so I'm thinking of selling it unless the cost of the ammo goes down to a reasonable price. Now I feel I should have bought the Kel-Tec PMR 30, which is in 22 mag.

tinman

Buckeye
Expensive 5.7 ammo? Sorry, I saw that coming way back when they attempted to market that caliber to the police departments. Sadly, that went over with pretty much zero interest. Then, except for the initial offering, it seemed to have gained little interest in the civilian markets.
To this day I know of only one gun in that caliber in private hands. :?

hittman

Staff member
That caliber has always been insanely high.
But a few years back, all the "57" guns also cost about double what Ruger gets for theirs.

Those boutique / trendy / obscure calibers never did anything for me but … YMMV.

And 22 Mag is about the same price as 38 Special so ….. I prefer more bang for my buck.

larry8

Single-Sixer
Although I have found 500 rounds for $500 at a gun show and am still looking to get another 500 rounds this year. I restrict my use of the gun with that expensive ammo so I did purchase the Kel-Tec PMR 30. It seems like a cheaper made gun than the Ruger but the ammo is very reasonably priced. I had to do a few mods to the Kel-Tec and now it is very accurate and I can let off all 30 rounds as fast as I can without a misfire. So for now till the ammo for the 57 gets cheaper it will be a safe gueen for a while.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I just ordered 500 rounds from Bud's Gun Shop for .80 cents per round. Plus $16.75 for shipping. Thats the lowest price I ever saw, even lower than the private dealers at the gun shows.

Latest posts