.357 For White Tail Deer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GhosT

Blackhawk
This same question ,seen posted for 2+ decades.

White Tail Deer not large,yet tasty ...

General answer seen in COUNTLESS threads...

MINIMUM
158 grain JHP'S .....hopefully at a maximum range of 50 yards.

Bullet weight enough to penetrate to vital organs , yet will expand
enough for a fast kill.

Others will disagree.

Passtime

Bearcat
I use a 180 LWFNGC over a close to max load of 2400 in my GP100 for hunting deer. I also carry the same anytime I am in the woods around here. When I was working up this load I put one through five big city phone books, three one gallon water jugs and into the berm at the back of my shooting range. As always though shot placement is the key.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I lost a good doe a few years back to a .357. Two solid hits, the first one through the slats & and in the pocket at less than 20 yds, and the other in the head, from behind, which knocked her clean off her feet at 50. Great blood trail, but eventually we lost her after 300 yds or so and four hours of tracking in the dark. It was here on our farm, and we know the cover like the inside of the garage but we never saw her again.

No brag...I'm a good pistol shot, competed for many years in the Bullseye regimen, and called both of the afore mentioned shots. I just don't think the .357 is good enough unless you're in spitting range. A big .41 or .44 might..might...be ok if you can handle and shoot it well enough in hunting conditions. But like one poster previously said...consider a handgun as a LOUD bow, and take the same distance shots. We owe the game we hunt a quick, merciful death...nuff said.

For me, the side arm is for back-up only. Finishing wounded game...I've done it 3 times now...or as 2ndary defense when hunting in the high country out west.

Best regards, Rod

Latest posts