OM Super Blackhawk coloring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

06dilly

Single-Sixer
I've recently acquired an OM SBH Brass Frame (80- series in the Dougan book) that has the most beautiful gloss finish, virtually unblemished... except... the color looks like it's turned more of a lighter grey. I have plum colored guns and know what those look like. This is not plum. It's a beautiful steel grey is the best I can describe. The ejector housing is black as sin which I'm guessing is because it's a different metal or was replaced.

Is this normal? Any experience on this is much appreciated!

TomD

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Likely a non-factory re-finish and not as durable as the original There's a firing pin aperture/bushing in the recoil shield that the firing pin protrudes thru: is it blued or in the white (bare metal)?

hittman

Staff member
Wonder if someone "cleaned" the gun with a chemical that dulled or ate away some of the finish?

I doubt Renaissance was would clear that up but may be worth a try.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
It's a perfectly even finish with a nice shine, just lighter grey than normal. If it were a chemical alteration you'd think there would be some splotching or discolorations. None of the inner metal, cylinder ends, etc look like this and the edges go smoothly from the greyer finish to the deep black. Mystery. I may try Ruger and see what they think.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Well much less mystery after looking through countless OM SBH's. The 39 year old finish fading to a lighter color than the aluminum ejector housing is actually not so uncommon. Thanks to all for the feedback!

TomD

Latest posts