Mark II vs Mark IV 22/45 Lite with bulk ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was at the range today, and thought I'd try sitting with a sand bag rest to compare my well loved Mark II to a Mark IV 22/45 Lite I bought in January. The ammo was just regular ol' bulk ammo, white box. It's done pretty well for me in the past, although this box had quite a few failure to fires in multiple pistols. I also have a Smith and Wesson Model 41, and with that gun, it was probably 50% FTF. I switched to CCI standard velocity and the gun worked just fine, 100%.

But, here, I posted a target. 10 shots each, the top is the Mark IV 22/45 Lite, and the bottom is the Mark II. Both pistols have red dots. I think if I had target style grips on the 22/45, it would have done better. The grips on the Mark II are Herrett's Target style grips. I've had them forever and they are pretty darn nice. The 22/45 has the Volquartsen trigger upgrade, with a Tandemkross flat trigger, it's right at 2 pounds. But, the Mark II's trigger is lighter; it's just worn smooth from years of use.

I'm actually really happy to see this. I was starting to lose faith in the Mark II. I was thinking the barrel has lost its accuracy, mostly since the rifling is pretty faded and light, again from years of use. The Mark IV on the other hand is basically new with less than 100 rounds through it.

Both are extremely fun guns to shoot.

xF0tErbl.jpg

Both black targets are the same size, it just looks like the bottom one is smaller. That's just the camera angle.

9gO7ikWl.jpg

I bought a couple of new 22/45 series 3 a few years back. I was very disappointed with the initial results from one of the new pistols. After maybe 500 shots, the accuracy improved to the point of bragging rights. Now after more shooting, the doggy performer is the showoff gun.

I had a Mark II era base model 22/45 and it was an absolute tack driver so I was a little concerned when I bought my Target Model Mark IV. I will say after a couple of magazines it was spot on and it feels better in my hand than the 22/45, I really like the rubber Hogue grips.

8-FFB76-B3-0-EE9-49-A8-83-AE-6-C6-FB618214-D.jpg

Johnnu2

Hunter
What more could anyone ask for.... (?)

Ruger makes'em GOOD and accurate....

IMHO of course,
J.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Vertical stringing appears to be the same but horizontal seems to be spread out which I would call shooter error. The lite weight guns seem to shoot better when using more of a combat grip and trigger finger placement.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Two good shooters. I really like the Herrett stocks on the target model. I have a set of them as well for my Mark IV 22/45 Lite but don't use them often. The do help with slow fire shooting.

I think the Ultra Dot is a bit more accurate then the other reflex sight you are using.

Very nice pair btw.