Stag Grips ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GHP

Bearcat
I got these grips in a trade a few years ago. they fit an xr-3 Red frame. I am no expert on stag grips but believe these to be authentic They are very heavy and show some traces of bark on the inside as well as about the most beautiful bark design I have seen. They seem a litthe too thick for my short fingers. The only markings are "28 N" on the inside of each grip. Can someone tell me if these are real stag?

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/o607/gparrish/IMG_0224.JPG?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
IMG_0227.JPG

yes they appear to be real stag, later ones, not as new as the 'san bar' ones from India that are much lighter, brighter, in color...look to fit the Rugers by the cut out on the top rear and the hole locations...last we bought any they were at $250-275 retail, for the Ajax version which were marked "Ajax" on the back, so could be any maker, the proof for most part is the actual "fit" on the frame of a XR-3 Red framed gun. ON the gun not just on a bare frame....we like them,.look nice, very Colt 'like' 8) :roll: :wink:

Johnnu2

Hunter
About 5 years ago, I sold a pair just like those for $285 (XR3).... I would guess those would fetch more today because of their vintage and what they fit.
They most definitely look real to my inexperienced eye.

J.

G2

Hunter
Nice Vintage Grips. If you look to sell them,,, hit me up. 8)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes definitely genuine stag and India Sambar Stag of the highest quality at that. Beautiful bark!

There's no bark on the inside, just the pithy interior of the antler (which is bone) as it approaches the marrow or center of the antler where the blood supply was before they "died" and shed.

In the period those were made, makers left as much bark as possible often leaving grips too fat. They're also not too comfortable on heavy recoiling handguns. Sacrificing a little of the bark beauty by removing some bulk and re-polishing, they can be much more useful and still look good.

Hondo, I always question as the term India Sambar' as all the ones we ever seen coming out of India like as the ones from Ajax, Eagle ,etc they are always much lighter, brighter NOT the deep dark rich colors of the old Colts and Rugers of years ago,,,we were told by the guy who owned Ajax ( the first owner) that was because of the "diet" lacking nutrients,,,,thus you can always spot "Newer" and of India source,,,still find this true today............so he said bottom line that is the difference of "India" or Sambar, the area they came from.... old makers did NOT get their grip material from India back in the day..........and we will not even try to sort out ivory!!!! 8) :roll: :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
There hasn't been any stag from India for several years now. Those that used to scrounge the forests for sheds aren't allowed to because it's also the habitat of the Tigers threatened with extinction. It's my experience that the whiter stag we see is mostly from German stag and New Zealand Stag, which is actually from the English stag deer transplanted there a century ago and now thriving.

Latest posts