laminated grip scratches on SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevep1954

Bearcat
can the scratches on my SBH laminated grips be sanded smooth, back to original? i don't have the gun yet but the pictures made the scratches look deeper than just the clear coat. thanks

I have sanded these laminated grips. Heavily impregnated with resin, they sand easily and nicely. But if the original sheen is desired, a light coat of a urethane product is what I used. :mrgreen: There are countless other coatings that would also work. Use the coating of your choice.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Pictures can make micro scratches look much worse than the nake eye sees.

Agree with all of the above, but... maybe a couple coats of a hard, clear wax, followed by buffing? I think that would fill scratches nicely, and buff off to the level of the remaining finish.

The only downside I see is if you want to coat w/something like a urethane, I suppose you'd have to be sure to get all the wax off, first.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Ummmmmm ?
Laminated grips are impregnated with epoxy or some form of polymer stuff. It's how they are made.
No need to add surface finish . Its not going to penetrate anyway , just sit on the surface.
Just sand the scratch as fine as you can (600 grit or finer )and buff .
That's all the factory finish is.
While using a poly finish is an easy way to make them shiny any surface finish you apply can be easily scratched and you will be right back in the same boat.