22short work in a SP or GP? I've never had short before.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
Younger guy at work got a basket case Remington 552 from his dad that found it apart in his grandpas van. Anyway he has no 22 ammo and randomly found some short so he bought it. He got the gun back together with some help from Numrich parts but it won't rack the second round. I figure it is the short round not being powerful enough to rack.

Anyway I offered to trade some LR for his shorts but figured I better ask before shooting in my guns. Never had any short rounds before.

Thanks for the help and hope you don't mind the ramble.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
roylt said:
Anyway I offered to trade some LR for his shorts but figured I better ask before shooting in my guns. Never had any short rounds before.

Yes any revolver chambered for 22 LR will safely chamber and shoot 22 Short and 22 Long as well as 22 LR. If you shoot many Shorts just brush out the chambers before switching back to Long or LR. Fowling in the chamber at the mouth of the shorter case will build up and make chambering and ejecting the longer rounds a little tight.

You should hear (or I should actually say not hear) .22 Shorts in a bolt gun with a suppressor. They ARE Hollywood quiet.

As the others have said, I have never had any problems shooting Shorts in a LR gun other than semi autos tend to not cycle.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Hondo44 said:
roylt said:

Yes any revolver chambered for 22 LR will safely chamber and shoot 22 Short and 22 Long as well as 22 LR. If you shoot many Shorts just brush out the chambers before switching back to Long or LR. Fowling in the chamber at the mouth of the shorter case will build up and make chambering and ejecting the longer rounds a little tight.

In a revolver think of shorts as 38 specials versus a 357

Dang it all. I was in a Wal Mart a couple weeks ago. They had some 22 shorts. I passed them up.

But! They did have 22 magnums for $11 a box. I did NOT pass those up. The guy let me buy all 6 boxes too!

roylt

Hunter
Dan in MI said:
[In a revolver think of shorts as 38 specials versus a 357

This is what I thought but wanted to be sure. The 22's I have were bought for my kids to learn on and also something that they can use to maybe train their kids (way in the future, only 11 and 13 now). Trying to keep them nice.

Thanks for the replies,
Roy

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
The 552 is supposed to fire .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle. I think it has a floating chamber like the 550 I had. That floating chamber probably needs cleaning.

Acorn

Buckeye
Muley Gil said:
The 552 is supposed to fire .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle. I think it has a floating chamber like the 550 I had. That floating chamber probably needs cleaning.

Like Muley said the 552 was designed to shoot s-l-lr. Perhaps dirty or just needs to be lubed.
I wouldn't mind having one myself or another 572.