.32 H&R magnum as a self defense round?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Forty-Four Fan

Bearcat
I spent 34 years in law enforcement, 20 of them as a firearms instructor, 15 years fulltime as primary instructor and rangemaster, and my last 3 years as unit chief of firearms and tactics training. This is my opinion:

The .32 H&R Magnum is a very viable choice for self-defense. While there are more "powerful" rounds available, the ability to shoot accurately is THE single most important factor in a deadly force encounter. For many, the .32 H&R Magnum is the upper limit of power and controllability.

Also, the .32 guns need to be lighter, smaller and easier to handle, and hold an extra round over a .38 cylinder.

I've conducted ballistic gelatin testing with factory and hand loaded .32 H&R Magnum loads. In terms of factory ammunition in a 2" barrel, the Hornady 80 grain Critical Defense round reaches an average 980 fps, penetrates nearly 14", and expands to nearly .40 calibre. If you can shoot that accurately, your choice of firearm should not be a worry.

Most people, and posters, have not been any closer to a deadly force encounter than a seat in movie theatre, or at-home Netflix, or YouTube video. After accurate shooting, other factors place higher in importance than choice of handgun calibre. In most shootings, the need for action takes place suddenly and quickly, and the person making the first hit is more than likely going to prevail. Most non-LE shootings don't involve multiple opponents, nor are the criminal perpetrators highly disposed to having a gunfight with an armed victim.

In retirement, I have the luxury of selecting my own weapons, and carry various types and calibres depending on need and personal preference. I have frequently carried a .32 H&R Magnum.

MZ5

Bearcat
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/pocket-pistol-caliber-gel-test-results/#32HRMag

I like the 32 H&R. It's a great cartridge. There's not very much factory ammo I'd rely on for self-defense, it turns out, if I had an LCR or other snubby. I didn't know that back when I was actively searching for one (quite a few years ago now).

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I was on top of the .32 mag when it first came out. First I bought an H&R with a 3 digit serial number then the first single six I saw, which I still have. I very much remember buying them after seeing the ads comparing it to the .38 special.

paboxcall

Bearcat
paboxcall said:
I've alternated between S&W .380 Bodyguard, a S&W 642 with 38+p hollow points, and a 3" SP101 in .327 with 85 grain hollow points with 100 grain SP back up. The Bodyguard and j-frame are way more comfy but both are snappy.

Hands down I'll take the SP101 shooting the 327 over the j-frame. Extra round capacity and excellent accuracy. Misfire, pull the trigger again though I've never had a FTF at the range. Extra weight keeps me on target better when point shooting. The 327 makes for an excellent trail gun too, and then you gain the versatility of chambering the other shorter .32 offerings. Win-win.

I carry three strips with 8 rounds, so I'm 30 rounds on my person, compared to carrying more strips of bulkier .38s to accomplish the same. I'm swapping out the 101 hammer spring with a Wilson next week just to improve DA.

Just a quick update. I replaced the hammer spring with the Wilson on my SP101 .327 Fed Mag, and I also replaced the hammer spring on my S&W 642 with the MCARBO kit.

Both were easy to swap out, and now both triggers are remarkably better. My wife had a hard time with the 642 snubby before the hammer spring change out, and now can handle the DA pull with better accuracy.

Its an easy swap, literally anyone could do the job if you're at all unsure about doing it. The online videos will walk you through it.

smith1961

Blackhawk
VictorLouis said:
smith1961 said:
2. You can shoot ...

.32 ACP in it cheap for practice.....

Say what? :shock:

Yes, you can do this. Many folks, myself included, have done this. Heck even you can if you try.............
Just do it in modern hand ejector or other solid frame revolvers. Not a good idea in top break or other pre-war stuff.

dixie884

Blackhawk
Yeah, it has a little semi-rim and will stay in battery the rim is approximately .005 thinner than .32S&W so will have a little excess head space. It will fire.

5of7

Hunter
smith1961 said:
VictorLouis said:
smith1961 said:
2. You can shoot ...

.32 ACP in it cheap for practice.....

Say what? :shock:

Yes, you can do this. Many folks, myself included, have done this. Heck even you can if you try.............
Just do it in modern hand ejector or other solid frame revolvers. Not a good idea in top break or other pre-war stuff.

Good advice on the old top breaks, the .32 Auto it loaded to considerably higher pressures than the older .32 Longs.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Successfully did so on my last range outing. However, I didn't properly invert the cylinder and use one swift ejector stroke. Thus, had to pick out like 3 of them with my fingernail. There's JUST ENOUGH clearance under the star when you compress the ejector rod, LOL.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I carry a revolver most every day on our farm, and often when going into town or the city. From my perspective the .32 H&R is just too light for defensive use.

I have three of them, two Ruger Single Sixes, and a Smith M16...love them for their superb accuracy and as trail guns, but for CC use, I carry a Smith M60 with a 3" bbl., and loaded with the old FBI carry load (~950 fps with a JHP or Hp LSWC). From the 3" bbl. I've chrono'd it at 920 fps...If 5 shots are enough, this load should suffice. YMMv, but IMHO, if choosing a defensive revolver cartridge/load, there are far better choices than the .32 H&R. Rod