RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:25 pm 
Hawkeye

Today, I was cruising some gun shops. Couldn't believer the bare shelves for most firearms and ammo.

At a shop in Kelso, WA I saw a Beraga B14 Ridge chambered in 7mmRM. The Ridge model has a heavier barrel than the Hunter model I had been looking for. Also the Ridge had a provision for the addition of a muzzle brake and has a larger bolt handle. It also weighs almost a pound more. I imagine it will weigh close to 10 lbs in hunting configuration. This won't be a long packing distance rifle. The price point was only $50 more than the Hunter.

So.....I snapped it up! Now for the optics...... :D

Image as follows...

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... e/p/p58893

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:57 pm 
Hawkeye

Good luck finding “the optic” that will enhance your set up. A Nikon Prostaff was a good addition to my Rem 788, without costing an arm and a leg. Let us know what you settled on.
gramps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:08 am 
Hawkeye

Since NIKON may have bitten the dust in the rifle scope market, I confidently recommend the VORTEX CrossFire line. I use a CrossFire 2-7x32 with BDC on one of my AR platform carbines and can assure that the clarity and visual acuity is beyond any other "mid-priced" optic. In low light use, the Vortex will positively identify and allow precise aiming when other scopes only reveal a dark blob with zero definition. The other I recommend is the Burris e-1 line. Son and I have been using those for the last 4-5 years on our EDC coyote carbines that get handled, bumped, exposed to all sorts of environmental conditions, and seem to never lose zero. The Burris is more expensive than the Vortex but not really any "better".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 am 
Blackhawk

400 yards is my limit also. I've used a lot of different calibers but have settled on 7x57 & 260 Remington for such work. 270 & 25-06 are decent choices also with good bullets.
Beruisis

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:09 am 
Hunter

If elk are on the agenda, anything smaller than 7mm/270 is too light. Remember, you may only get one shot! A buddy used 25-06 but that was his do everything rifle. For years, before I quit hunting due to health issues, I used a 300 mag with 180 gr Noslers for just about everything from ground squirrels to several elk, at ranges from point blank to 400+ yards. Most were one-shot kills. Longest was an eastern Wyoming (Thermopolis area) mulie at 450+ yards nd a cow elk at ~440 yards. Broke shoulders on each and required a follow-up shot.

I chose the 300 mag over the 7mm mag because it offered about 10% more and was on sale at the same price. As a part-time guide while in grad school, I saw many elk, deer and wild hogs killed with a 7mm Mag, so I would not fault you for using it. It my opinion, it probably has a slight edge on antelope.

There may be better calibers but something to remember is that 300 Mag and 7mm Mag ammo will be available pretty much anywhere in elk and deer country,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:28 pm 
Hawkeye

I can not imagine a 400yd shot. In the woods or fields in the North East an average shot is usually
100 yds. or so! Holy molly 400 yds omg. ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

Buy American Give Your Neighbor A Job!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:02 pm 
Hawkeye

400 yards isn't too much unless you have to deal with swirling/eddying winds. Shooting across canyons/valleys can be tricky because you're sitting in one type of wind current and shooting across maybe 2 or 3 different ones. With all the big steep hills around here, it seems that most of the longer shots are across a valley of some sort. Just have to be mindful of how that airflow in the valley is moving.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:59 pm 
Buckeye

Practice shooting at the ranges you will be shooting at. And shoot in the wind so you can learn windage. Like has been said elevation is easy. Windage is a learning experience. I shoot a 280 AI and wind drift is surprising at 350 yds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:01 am 
Buckeye

I would recommend using your muzzle brake. They help tame recoil like nothing else I have ever tried. If you can afford the outlay, I would put a good quality scope like a Leupold. Those with the custom dial that tunes it to the load you shoot would be a great help for bullet drop compensation; letting you concentrate on doping the wind. If you are going to be shooting up hill or down hill, remember the further off horizontal you move the higher the bullet strike will be no matter if up or down hill. The shooter still has to choose how much that rise will effect the outcome. I doubt I am telling you anything you don't already know, but a little reminding never hurts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:48 pm 
Hunter

I can still handle recoil if I have to but at my age (83) it isn't the fun it was when I was a lot younger. My usual elk rifle is a .35 Whelen based on a custom Mauser, Lately though, I've been doing some work with the 7x57 Mauser and have one good load using the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. In my string Winchester M70 Featherweight or Ruger #1A I easily use 7-08 data for my reloads. I've serious begun thinking on trying the 160 gr. Grand Slams as a all round bullet as well. I just have to see how well they work in my rifles which does include a custom Mauser as well as the two mentioned. That one has been a bit of a puzzle and it shows high pressure signs a lot earlier that the other two rifles. I'm thinking that the very close tolerances in the chamber may have something to do with the problem. The action used was originally a .270 Win. so I doubt the fault lies there.

I'm not much of a fan of long range shots. It was more fun to see just how close I could get. My longest shot ever was on a cow elk at 530 yards. The rifle was chambered to the .300 Win. Mag. Next was a Mule Deer at 426 paces with a .308 Win. There was one cow elk at 350 yards with a .35 Whelen. Yardages were laser measured. Closet shot were about 12" from the muzzle. A sneak in very heavy cover with the deer not moving as I did the sneak. Almost stepped on another one I didn't see while creeping up on the one I wanted. Shot was literally from the hip. Scared hell out of me.
Paul B.