Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
You mean Super Redhawk?

Didn't realize Redhawk came in any finish other than blued or stainless.

Not sure there is any difference between the finishes you ask about ..... maybe just folks calling them one thing or another. You know, like magazine / clip, etc.

Sorry, bet that's no help. LOL

hittman

Staff member
I had a GP100 marked GPNY and wonder if it was target gray as it seemed a tad darker in color than some of the Super Redhawks I'd seen.

hittman said:
I had a GP100 marked GPNY and wonder if it was target gray as it seemed a tad darker in color than some of the Super Redhawks I'd seen.

The GPNY GP100's were blasted at the factory with 120 grit aluminum oxide and that lends to giving the stainless steel a bit darker color. I got one that someone tried to polish the gun (and did a poor job). I called Ruger and asked if they could refinish it to the way it went out the door under the contract. They did it and I had it back in less than 2 weeks and you could see the difference (plus they replaced some parts without me asking) and didn't charge me a dime.

The Target Gray, I believe was not done by Ruger. IIRC the parts were sent out to a company who polished them to a almost mirror finish, put them together and then chemically (and with small glass beads) gave it the gray color with the slightly blasted look. I believe this was a propriety process and was not inexpensive. I would guess that is why not many (as compared to others in the SRH line) were made.

I am not sure about a "Satin Gray" finish. Both Redhawks and Supers did have a "Satin" finish, but that is just the way the metal was finished/polished.

All searches show the Model 5001 is a KRH-44 - Ruger Redhawk, .44 Magnum, stainless steel, satin finish, double action revolver, 7.5 inch barrel. Nothing special about it from what I can see.

The Satin finish is just the way the factory polished it, not a dull finish nor a highly polished finish. Just pretty much a standard stainless steel finish.

hittman

Staff member
voxsjiah.jpg

I understand now. Satin is the regular or "normal" finish ..... target gray is that flat darker color. Right?

Pic is the regular finish Redhawk on bottom, blued 41 Mag on top.

I think some refer to the regular finish also as "brushed".

bigbill

Single-Sixer
Didn't the super Redhawk hunter series come with a darker grey stainless.? For hunting no shine will reflect off of it.

The RedHawks in 357 and 41 took me decades to find them. Of course I purchased the s&w m57 and m58 first because I couldn't find the Redhawk in 41 mag. Then the RedHawks showed up. Ruger is my number one brand. No past western history but they shoot great.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
any ruger said:
Yes it does help I wish I could get pics of the two finishes side by side. Satin grey is in rene.
I would be happy to send pics of target grey versus satin grey. Lost access to online picture hosting so i can email or text them?