Long barrel 44 Flattops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Some months ago I bought both a seven and a half inch and a ten inch 44 flattop.

I hadn't shot either of them yet and seeing as temps here are hovering around 100 degrees, I took them to the range early this morning to beat the heat and midwestern humidity.

Holy cow these are fun. They're not cheap guns to get even in shooter condition. But if you've ever wanted one, times a wasting. Get one, you won't regret it.

Chief

Single-Sixer
Pics or it didn't happen hittman! Seriously glad you had some fun in Illinois. What area are you from ? West central for me.

hittman

Staff member
Thank you Hondo44 ..... turns out Chief and I are only about 50 miles apart.

I seem to forget they made the flattops in New Models since I've never gotten into those. There's just so darn many Old Models, in so many calibers, barrel lengths and different configurations there's just no time or money for the newer stuff.

princeout

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
Neither can be New Model 44 Spl flattops with those barrels lengths.

They can only be old model 44 Mags flattops.

There are definitely 7-1/2" 44 Special flattops out there. I had one for a while. Overruns on the Shootists' model made several years back.

Tim

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I have an old model flattop .44 in 7.5" length. As much as I like 4 5/8" barrels, this old 7.5" is my favorite sixgun.
413656856.jpg

Chief

Single-Sixer
Perhaps we need a new/ different configuration of the super blackhawks, i.e. offer a 7.5 in barrel on the short gripped , fluted cylinder models. To be more precise, take the standard model Blackhawk, give it a steel trigger guard and 7.5 in barrel, chambered in 44. mag. I might buy some of those. There really isn't anything really unique in the standard offerings.