Unable to resist: GP100 3" 44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
I didn't know I NEEDED one of these until recently though I've wanted one for a couple of years. New caliber to me. I have and have had a few GP100s, all 357 in various configurations. I'm hoping to save a little "dumb tax" and getting a leg up on the learning curve by getting some recommendations from 44 Special enthusiasts.

In general do the 3" GP100 44 Special revolvers show a bullet weight preference?

Mold recommendations?

Is the "Skeeter Load" a viable option?

Favorite field holsters?

Many Thanks in advance.
Mo

Rclark

Hunter
I am a SA guy ... but I did pick one of these up (Talo wood grips and gold dot front sight) ... because it was .44 Special... And I was looking for a possible Bulldog replacement. Anyway this is built like a tank in comparison, so I still use the Bulldog for CC as much smaller and lighter. I do want to get some smaller wood grips to make it more concealable... Every time I look, the vendor is out of stock ... That said, I shoot the Skeeter load in it (7.5g Unique under 240g SWC). I would not shoot the Keith Load (17.5g 2400 under 240g SWC) in it however. I don't like how thin (thickness) the barrel forcing cone area is for one thing. But should be fine with steady diet of the Skeeter load. Just my opinion. Oh, no holster yet as it hasn't made the wearable on the belt list yet.

TJ11

Single-Sixer
Almost two years into it. 240g FP 7.0 Unique.

WRrJCTl.jpg

Rnm9gBU.jpg

Solid unit.

Mus408

Hunter
For the Bulldog revolver size I like a 200 gr. bullet like the Speer Gold Dot with 8 gr. of Power Pistol.
I get a consistent 830 FPS out of the 3 inch Bulldog and good expansion.

Recently tried a new to me 44 Special load for my Bisley FT using MB 240 gr SWC bullet loaded with 5.0 gr. Red Dot
and it shoots really nice and very accurate compared to my Unique load with that bullet.

Rclark

Hunter
I've tested 4.5 (800fps) to 6.0g Red Dot (950fps) under the 240g SWC, and I noted all tested loads as 'accurate'. I don't know why, but I found there were very few loads that were NOT accurate with my 5 1/2" .44 Special Flattop that I use for load testing.

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the insights!

Mine is in waiting period jail for now. I'm very excited to pick it up. A few of my 44 Special enablers got me set up with brass and a batch of RCBS 250 SWC. I don't have much Red Dot left but I think I'll give it a roll too.

Pistolero - those Lett(?) grips look great on the 44 GP.