.32 H&R magnum as a self defense round?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Recently I read an article about the 32 HR Mag, and one of the things that stood out in my mind was that when Federal created the round they wanted to duplicate the power of the 38 special. I own a Ruger LCR 327 Federal magnum that I rarely carry because I am concerned about over penetration especially when used for nightstand duty (typically my carry gun doubles for nightstand duty); but if the HR Magnum is on par with the 38, I could see using that round for carry and on my nightstand in the Ruger 327 Federal handgun.

So, I guess my question would be do any of you fellow Ruger Forum participants carry the 32 HR Magnum as a self defense round?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have never read that Federal "wanted to duplicate the power of the 38 Spl...". Only half the factory loads are close.

That said, I have no reservation about whether the 32M would penetrate a person. Its probably academic.

Insofar as a "nightstand gun" (not a public carry gun), there are myriad choices. The 327 FM is not one of my choices however, due to NOISE and flash. I think if I ever had to touch off a 327FM round indoors, it would be the very last noise I ever heard.

contender

Ruger Guru
Like any firearm & caliber,,, "It depends,,,,,,,,,"

Bears have been killed with .22's,, while other bears have killed people after soaking up big calibers.
And caliber can be effective or ineffective depending upon many variables.

If I had no other choice,, and the 32 Mag was my only caliber,, then I'd use it, and try to have the best self defense ammo I could muster.

smith1961

Blackhawk
It's a decent in-home defense round for a couple good reason;

1. There's decent modern ammo for it.
2. You can shoot 32 Long, .32 S&W, .32 ACP in it cheap for practice, practice, practice.

Shoot it enough that you're very familiar and accurate, then put it close by and hope you never need it.

Johnnu2

Hunter
My nightstand gun is a 12ga. .... but it's tricky to hide in my shorts when I go out.
p.s. I always assume that I would miss my target in the middle of the night when half asleep..... so 'over-penetration' would always be a concern.
J

grobin

Blackhawk
The OP is concerned about over penitration. This is potentially a problem due to limited bullet choices in factory ammo! For instance Hornaday only has a couple different bullets abailable! With this in mind if I lived in a condo or apartment I'd choose a different caliber. I use a 9mm because of the common availability of many different types of factory ammo and different bullets.

In reality for about half the BG and critter encounters a yell or warning shot sufices. For the rest the caliber makes less difference than your ability to accurately place shots.

Personally I find the 327 unpleasant to shoot. That makes practice unlikely and so my ability to hit something is limited. (BTW that's why I sold mine.) The 9/10mm I have are plesant, accurate to shoot and easy to reload for!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Common sense goes to a subsonic round for "nightstand" duty. Full-power 327FM loads (the OP topic) are certainly not. We only have two eardrums in this life...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think the 32 HR Mag round makes a lot of sense for carry and nightstand. I carry 38 special in an SP101 because I think the 357 mag is too powerful/loud. I would not hesitate to carry 32 HR mag rounds. Shoot a bunch of them and see how you and your gun likes them. What have you got to loose? :D :D

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
In a self-defense situation over penetration is probably the last thing I would be worrying about. I would be more concerned about where the shots that missed completely went, assuming of course that I survived the encounter.

H Richard

Bearcat
I think the 32 H&R can be a perfectly good SD and Bed Table gun. I have three of them, (all S&W) 2 J Frames, 431PD and 432PD and 16-4. I have developed handloads that I trust and are more than adequate. I primarily use the Hornady 100 gr XTP and it chrono's at just over 1000 fps from the 1 7/8" barrels, and over 1200 from the 6" 16-4. It is an accurate round.

Group shot at 12 yards while chronographing the loads. It is not unpleasant to shoot in the light 432 and 431's.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
The 32 H&R magnum offers adequate penetration for a defense round with reasonable recoil. The 32 S&W Long wadcutters also offer decent penetration and recoil is quite mild. Lucky Gunner recently did a video on the 32 caliber cartridges.

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
I have 3 handguns in .32 Mag. (& 1 more in .327) I can highly recommend the .32 H&R Mag. Both for carry, plinking and night stand duty. My single-six 6 1/2" & 9 1/2 are deadly accurate and a pleasure to shoot. My daughter has come to love them. My pet load for plinking uses a 115 gr. Kieth style slug and a modest dose of Win. 231. For carry / night stand duty my Smith J-frame 431 gets the nod, using a 100 gr JHP. It's easy to handle well, hits its mark even with the short tube, and holds six rounds rather than five as other J-frames do. In the single-seven I run the 115 gr. Keith style bullet with a bit more powder, because it actually improves the accuracy slightly in that gun (designed for .327 Fed.) likely do to the long chambers. Performance will likely surprise you in a good way. Very versital round.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have, well... more than a few .32's :mrgreen: I have several but the LCR is probably the most useful due to weight for every day carry. The Hornady Critical Defense 80 gr load in 32H&R is very manageable. Other loads aren't bad but the 115 gr. loads are not much fun in that gun and work better in a SP101.

32Magfan

fiasconva

Blackhawk
Quick question for you SP101 owners with that caliber. What is the recoil comparable to? I have a friend that is considering one for an elderly relative and was wondering if she could handle it.

bogus bill

Hunter
I dont have a DA in it but have a single six in it. Next to no recoil. It is not much more than a .22 lr. It does have a sharp report.