SP101 in 9MM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommyhof

Bearcat
Anyone have one, there selling cheap online $450. I'm really tempted, want to see if my local gun store/range has them and if there close might pick one up. Comments.

woodsy

Blackhawk
None here, for much the same reason as others: Looks good on paper, cheap ammo, many vocal people asking for them, but then when it comes down to useage, the moon clips are a drag. Pretty soon they'll be withdrawn until the demand drumbeat starts again.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Moonclips get a lot of negative hype on forums. They're not that fragile or much of a bother.

grobin

Blackhawk
In a competition where reload speed counts moon clips are the best way to go. Just get several ( they are cheap), preload them and forget the not so speed loader!

contender

Ruger Guru
While many folks feel moon clips are a drawback,, (and I used to be one of them,) they aren't actually. In fact, for a wheelgun,, they are quite fast. And you don't have to be a competition shooter to enjoy the benefits of having spare ammo quickly for a DA handgun.
I USED to feel it was a PIA,, until I got my first DA that used moons. Actually, it was a Ruger Speed-Six in 9mm,, that ONLY had 1/2 moons.
Later,, I found a supply of full moons. Then along came a few more guns that use moons. I have a S&W 45 acp, and a S&W 40. Now I have added a GP-100 in 10mm/40 as well.

And for those who feel moon clipped type of handguns need to realize there is a whole world of folks out there who enjoy them. ICORE competition is a hot place for them. And yes,, there are a LOT of folks who do enjoy the competition. Then IDPA, USPSA & others use DA revolvers as well.
And as for availability of clips,, TK Products, Ranch products are but a few places that sell moon clips for many guns.
So,, for usage & fun, they are NICE!
And for competitions,, they rule the game because they are fast to reload.

And ONE of the reasons they aren't always easily available is that folks who buy them,, usually KEEP them. And many of those same folks are NOT into competition.

So,, if a SP-101 in 9mm attracts you,, by all means,,, go for it. None of my DA's that use moons are for sale!

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I've used speed loaders for over 44 years and use them well. I bought an LCR 9mm when they first came out and that was the first time that I ever saw a moon clip. With a little practice, it wasn't long before I discovered that moon clips are way faster than speed loaders and I haven't bent or broke one yet.

Tracker1

Bearcat
I had a 9mm SP101 for several years. I did almost all of my shooting without using the clips. Often the cases of my mild 122 gr. lead round flat nose reloads would fall out of the cylinder, and the others were easily dislodged with a Bic pen or a cleaning rod. I once loaded the 5 shot clip with Cor-Bon 115 gr. +P JHP and the cylinder was stuck so tight that I had to take the gun home and beat on the ejector rod to get the fired cases out. I finally traded it off for something else that didn't require all the extra steps. I have a .357 Mag. SP101 that easily ejects fired full charge Magnum loads.

biker50

Bearcat
I had been wanting a small revolver and liked the sp101 but just bring myself to pay $550 for a gun I really didn't need. My local gun shop had them on sale last weekend in 9mm only for 300. I couldn't help myself at that point and bought one. They sold 12 of them in a day and a half. Nice gun, shoots well and the moon clips don't seem to be a problem. I have large hands so I put a hogue grip on it and that made a big difference.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I had one and it shot lousy with all of the ammo I tried in it. Commercial loads all shot low and left , some by as much as a foot at 25 yards.
Cast bullet reloads sized .356 keyholed at 25 yards but shot the best groups at 6-8",6" below center. I called Ruger and talked to a CSR about the terrible accuracy and was told that the guns "were only meant for 7 yards" so accuracy was not a problem. I sold it at a loss and was happy to get rid of it ! I imagine Ruger used a .357 barrel on the 9MM SP101 and not a .355 bore . I do have another 9MM revolver with an adjustable sight and it shoots well but shoots 357 mag ammo better. If you want a 101 get a 357 and shoot 38+P and you will be happy with it !!

silverback

Blackhawk
Cdnn has a decent deal on new. 499
399 on sp101 38
https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-sp101r-9mm-2-25-stainless.html?trk_msg=4ERD92DDIIK4B5DGQOUCR84A90&trk_contact=R2PNQ46NKLQ6M732RA0AIHBRF4&trk_module=bna&trk_sid=2PPSO89MTR81R1ENFP3K1T2F2S&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=CHECK+IT+OUT&utm_campaign=Browse+Abandonment&utm_content=2-ProductBrowse#.XXRytB5MGdM

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-sp101r-38spl-3-inch-stainless.html#.XXRy7B5MGdM

JStacy

Blackhawk
the .358 bullet is a good idea but many 9 mm chambers are too tight to chamber a round loaded with oversized bullets. If your SP101 in 9MM will chamber a .358 loaded round I am sure they will shoot more accurately. I bought a Taurus Mod 692 , two cylinders( 357 and 9MM ) and it shoots the 9MM pretty good , not as good as 357 , but good. I am going to load some .356 bullets and see how it shoots . New gun just have not had a chance to shoot much lately.

Charter Arms has a 9 mm revolver that doesn't use moon clips, does anyone have one? https://charterfirearms.com/products/79920-9-mm-pitbull-rimless-revolver?_pos=3&_sid=d70424230&_ss=r
gramps

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I had one and sold it. The novelty wore off and I wasn't a huge moonclip fan. I wrote that once on another forum and was flamed for daring to speak negatively about moon clips by one of the forum "experts". I didn't say they were evil or inferior, just that I didn't like messing with them :)

mlwyatt

Bearcat
I bought an SP101 in 9mm in September from Cabelas who price matched an online retailer at $425. I see now that Greentop (the biggest gun store in my area, Richmond VA) is now selling the SP101 9mm for $399. I bought mine to complement my 357 model since 9mm is still considerably less expensive than 38 if you don't reload.

Had to send the 9mm back to Ruger for a new extractor as it would not cycle at all when loaded. As always Ruger took care of me and got it back within 10 days. Shoots great based on the short time I have had it. Accuracy has exceeded my expectations and moon clips haven't been an issue.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I have one and have not shot it much. 9mm ammo is so cheap I don't bother to reload for it anymore so have only shot FMJ factory ammo in it. At home on my range I shoot it without clips and the fired cases pluck right out. It is chambered with the rims sticking out of the cylinder for the moon clips so they are easy to grab. When I carry it I have carry ammo in a couple of clips in case I need to reload. (Highly unlikely). Anyway I like the little 9mm revolver.