Disassembly of Service Six Cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

one bullet

Single-Sixer
I have a creme puff Service Six I bought and put up years ago. The only issue it has is a slight wobble in the ejector rod that you can see when spinning the open cylinder. I doubt you can straighten it out on the gun so I was thinking of replacing it. Would anyone have a detailed schematic of the parts and instruction on replacing the ejector rod.

I was lucky enough to find the rod at Numrich but was wondering if any other part aside from the rod itself could cause the wobble. It functions and ejects fine. it's just not perfectly straight like it should be.

one bullet

Single-Sixer
I'm not really a gunsmith and would do more damage that anything else if I attempted anything other than an easy fix. I'm sure the book would be nice to have. I'm just looking to correct this one flaw and then put it back up. I have several security sixes to shoot and this one is a safe queen for sentimental reasons. I'm hoping for some online advice unless this is a difficult repair. If so, I'll just leave it alone.

It's really not hard to do. Here's how:

1. Disassemble the gun down to it's major components.

2. Hold the cylinder in your left hand, ejector rod facing up.

3. Use a pair of small vise grips and clamp them around the knurled end of the ejector rod. Don't clamp it so tight that it digs into the rod unless you don't care about reusing the rod. You might want to wrap a bit of duct tape around it to protect it from the teeth of the vise grip.

I actually have a tool that is made specifically to do this job without ripping up the knurled portion of the rod. It is made for S&W's but works fine for my Rugers

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007083963/gunsmither-tools-visesmith-extractor-rod-tool-s-and-w-j-k-l-n-frame-revolvers.

If you do a lot of work on DA revolvers, it can be a lifesaver. However as long as you use just enough pressure to grip the ejector rod, you should be ok.

4. Turn the ejector rod clockwise to loosen it, it has left hand threads.

5. Once loose, turn it out with your fingers and remove.

6. Install the the new rod, turn counter clockwise to tighten. Some people like to put a drop of blue Loctite on the threads to insure it doesn't loosen on it's own (they can over time with a lot of shooting).

7. Test (spin the cylinder while holding the crane and if all ok, reassemble.

That's it, pretty easy to do. Then, you can roll the old rod to see where it's bent and try to straighten it if you want to reuse it.

Pistolero, if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, I would put the complete cylinder assembly in, spray it down good with Simple Green or 409 and cover it with water and turn it on for 30 minutes or so. This will help break up the harden grease. Then when you get it all apart, throw all the separated parts back in the bath, spray them down again add clean water and do it again. This will remove the rest of the gunk. Take them out, dry them off and wipe down with an oily rag. Put it back together and add a drop of oil where needed and it's done.

Latest posts