2014 model Vaqueros..stronger hammer spring?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
OK..I just got my new .45 ACP Birdshead and have noticed that when I cock the hammer it really seems to have a stronger spring than any of my other SA revolvers.
My 2005 New Vaquero feels a bit weaker...now this one hasn't been shot a lot.
Seems to be stronger than my SBH Hunter too.
Is Ruger using heavier hammer springs now?

Mus408

Hunter
So a spring swap might be the plan. It could just stand to be a touch lighter.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Mus408 said:
So a spring swap might be the plan. It could just stand to be a touch lighter.

The new Vaquero incorporated changes requested by CAS competitors; lighter spring, longer hammer, narrower grip frame, etc. The lock was Ruger's dumb idea and had nothing to do with the spring.

Once they realized the unpopularity of the lock in the market place, they dropped the lock!

And to simplify inventory, they eventually went back to one spring fits all. They are especially too strong in single sixes with their shorter hammers and therefore less leverage. The lighter spring worked perfect in all models.

Now we go back to clipping coils (or custom spring kits by Wolff and others). You'll find your 2005 NV has a 24 coil spring, the standard spring is 28.

With cross cut dikes you can clip 1/2 coil at a time from the top end of the spring w/o disassembling the spring (saves a lot of time). Cut about 2 coils off, 1/2 coil at a time and try the hammer each time until it's where you like it. I take 4 coils off to get back to 24 and that's perfect for me.

If you want to try to get an original NV spring it's Ruger part # MVQ00400. RUGER PH # 603-865-2442

Or $2.99 at Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/mainspring-parts/mainsprings/mainspring-sku780001291-44190-99688.aspx?sku=780-001-291

Also if you want to eliminate lock in your 2005 NV, replace it with this: Bearcat spring seat.
Brownells #780-000-948AK, $2.12, here:
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/mainspring-parts/mainsprings/mainspring-seat-sku780000948-11856-28534.aspx?sku=780000948

Or order direct from Ruger # PRO3603

In 2007 I figured out that the Ruger Bearcat spring seat , is the longest seat made for their single actions, go figure!! And it just bridges the larger gap in the grip frames made for internal lock! It works perfectly for a Lock by-pass:

The Bearcat spring seat is the easiest swap there is. A disassembly pin slips in the strut hole above the seat just like the lock, therefore the spring doesn't need to be dismounted from the strut. In fact you don't even need to remove the grip frame from the gun! In all the other Ruger SAs, the pin is inserted below the seat and it's captured on the strut with the spring.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the input on the spring issue with the newly produced no-lock guns. I had a bunch of Wolff springs on hand for the lock models and realized the problem when they coil bound during cocking. The approx. 30 coil springs have to be cut to about 25 turns to work, which beats trying to order new special springs. A Dremel cutoff wheel is the way to go and will avoid making a big dent in your cutters.

I also agree that the no-lock version has a very heavy hammer spring and lightening it up does not create an ignition problem.

Carry_Up

CraigC

Hawkeye
New, lighter springs are always a better solution. Cutting off coils decreases the length but also increases the rate.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Carry_Up,

You're right, lesser quality cutters will dent! The cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool is much more professional and leaves a nice taper on the cut coil. Many don't have a Dremel so I always begin with the cutters.