Would you buy an 8 shot 357 magnum Super Redhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Harvey

Bearcat
I have always liked the idea of an 8 shot .357 revolver by Ruger. Big questions are weight and size of the piece, and of course, price. I think almost all size barrels from snubby to 7" would sell.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Here's the big killer feature for it, if they'll do it: titanium frame. They have the tech available from their golf club production.

Better yet: 9mm with moons, short steel cylinder, barrel recessed to meet the cylinder, titanium frame, get it down to...what, 20 ounces maybe? What a hell of a critter that would be!

Yes, the 9mm is "less potent" than 357. But there's been more projectile development for it of late than in 357 because law enforcement in the US still uses a lot of 9mm. The Federal HST 147gr slug is more advanced in terms of expansion reliability than anything at a similar energy level in 357, as one example.

JimMarch1 wrote: "Yes,the 9mm is "less potent" than 357. But there's been more projectile development for it of late than in 357 because law enforcement in the US still uses a lot of 9mm. The Federal HST 147gr slug is more advanced in terms of expansion reliability than anything at a similar energy level in 357, as one example."

Ha ha, why would I want my .357 magnum reduced to the 9mm level? Ruger tried the 9 mm revolver thing once before.
gramps

toysoldier

Hunter
JimMarch1 said:
Better yet: 9mm with moons, short steel cylinder, barrel recessed to meet the cylinder, titanium frame, get it down to...what, 20 ounces maybe? What a hell of a critter that would be!

Taurus makes a 5-shot .380 revolver with a short frame and cylinder that is truly pocket-sized. If you're not going to shrink the cylinder and frame to match the 9mm cartridge, why bother?

An 8-shot .357 revolver? Nope. Too much iron to carry. Revolver manufacturers helped put themselves out of the LE market by making 6-shot revolvers that are significantly heavier than 10-shot auto pistols with a full magazine. A heavy gun may be good on the range, but a real drag to wear on a long shift.

Harvey

Bearcat
Interesting point...I just read (didn't see it), that Smith came out with a 7 and 8 shot revolver in 9mm. If this is the case, the details and future comments/tests should be revealing and possibly influence Ruger's thinking.

Rclark

Hunter
No. First 8 shoots just isn't correct ... and it is a Double Action to boot, and the revolver it is to big for the peanut .357.

Harvey said:
Interesting point...I just read (didn't see it), that Smith came out with a 7 and 8 shot revolver in 9mm. If this is the case, the details and future comments/tests should be revealing and possibly influence Ruger's thinking.
S&W has come out with a lot of things that had ZERO effect on what Ruger makes! Why this?
gramps

contender

Ruger Guru
While the size of the Super Redhawk would likely be capable of holding 8 shots, I do not see Ruger making any like you wish.
History has shown that for SALES, odd number cylinders, (more than the standard 6) are usually lower in general than standard sizes.
S&W & Ruger both have had guns in 7, 8 shot like that, yet, sales "ho-hum" for both.
I own a Redhawk in 357 mag, and it's a heck of a gun. More than enough strength for the 357. Yet, most who shoot it smile & enjoy. But, to increase the capacity from 6 to 8 would likely detract from the enjoyment by most.
I wouldn't care to purchase one either.

eveled

Hawkeye
The eight shot smith and wesson Clint used in the movie Blood Work, was awesome. I'd like to see him make one move Dirty Harry movie with it as his sidearm.

"Did he fire six shots? Or only five? Or is that the eight shot S&W? Do you feel lucky?..........Well do you?"

Peter M. Eick

Bearcat
No. I don't like 8 shooters and drilling 8 holes in the cylinder would defeat the purpose of a 357 for shooting hot loads. Not enough steel anymore.

I am pleased with my 2 357 Redhawks I have.

RonS

Single-Sixer
Wouldn't even consider it, while I love Rugers the SRH is just ugly. I bought a S&W 627 Pro and am very happy with it. For one thing, if Ruger didn't cut their competitor for moon clips I doubt they would do it for the SRH.

Latest posts