Unbeliveable Ruger Service

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blkhwk8

Single-Sixer
A while back I purchased a older #1 45-70 for a great price that needed a reblue and stock refinish.I posted on here about about having Ruger do the reblue and got a few responses that they do a great job.Well the rifle was returned today to my local shop and we were all surprised.The reblue was great but they also found that the stock had an interior crack and the trigger assembly had some interior pitting.They replaced the trigger assembly, many of the associated parts, and the stock and forearm.There was no invioce with the rifle so the shop called Ruger and was told "no charge".They did not even charge for the reblue or the return shipping!!!!
I have been a Ruger fan for many years(collector and shooter) and this type service will keep me as a fan for many more to come.

singleshot

Single-Sixer
It's great to hear about service like this..

I had sent a No. 1 RSI in last year for a polish/reblue on a barreled action that had some extensive pitting to the receiver. They called before they reblued to basically make sure I still wanted the service since the receiver was pitted beyond what I (or they for that matter) knew.

I received the rifle back with the charge for the rebluing service, what I didn't anticipate was the rifle was returned fully stocked with some pretty nice wood, at no charge......

I will always be a Ruger fan !!!!..

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Only minor dealings with Ruger service, but they also far exceeded my expectations.

horseshoe

Single-Sixer
Several years ago I bought a 358 win Model 77 with tang safety and was in a stand hunting with it and noticed it had a crack running from the front swivel stud all the way to the floorplate. I called Ruger and ask them about a stock and they said we will just send you one. This is what I call service.

cherokee5425

Bearcat
I also have to praise their service. I recently bought a Ruger Gunsite Rifle and misplaced the scout mount and screws. I called about getting a replacement and they just asked for my name and address. A week later I had a new scout mount and screws," No Charge". That's what I call service.

niteowl

Bearcat
I bought an old police issued Mini 14 GB several years ago and had the firing pin break on me after my second outing. I sent the rifle in to be repaired, fully expecting to pay shop and parts fees. About 2 weeks later it returned to my doorstep and the invoice said "no charge". They replaced the firing pin, repaired the bolt, and also installed a new gas piston and bushing. The rifle shoots great!! They have made a lifelong customer out of me.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I picked up a 1A recently that had the quarter rib butchered with a dovetail filler. I can't even fathom why somebody would do that since the filler piece was bigger than Ruger's dovetail and in the white so it didn't even match. Anyway, I called Ruger and they said send it in. I got it back with a new rear sight.

jjbabin

Bearcat
Damn I love reading these experiences!!! I've been a ruger fan but I have never had any dealings with them personally.
They make me proud to be a Ruger fan!!

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
I bought a 1973 SS convertible. It looked almost unfired but when I tried it, I couldn't hit a piece of office paper @ 7yds. Both cylinders the same.

I sent it into to Ruger, on a Friday to get it fixed. It came back the next Tuesday with both cylinders replaced and timed in, a new hammer trigger, sundry other parts and a test target. No charge!

Took it down to the range and it shot some nickel sized groups @10yds!

By comparison, during the time the SS left and returned,I had been trying to get a prepaid label from S&W to return a 686 for service for two weeks.

It's almost worth taking a perfectly good Ruger pistol and sending it in to their service dept just to see what you get back. :)

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
Blackmore said:
meshugunner said:
It's almost worth taking a perfectly good Ruger pistol and sending it in to their service dept just to see what you get back. :)

That would no doubt kill the golden goose. :cry:

Yes of course. It was meant in jest as a backhanded way of saying that their service is so good that it might even improve a fully functional weapon.

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
Well here's one this week.

I sent a MKIII in to be rebarreled. The lady at customer service told me $135 parts and labor (very reasonable IMO) and put a note in with the gun asking for the barrel to duplicate the original serial #. That way they can ship it to me directly w/o an FFL transfer.

So Mon they call me. A different lady this time tells me they got the pistol, it's in the work queue, it will take 7 - 10 business days, but they need an FFL to return it to. But ... but ... duplicate serial #..? "Oh no we don't do that any more"

So I got a bit ticked off. There wasn't really much money at stake but I don't like it when the rules change in the middle of the game and I have no choice but to play it their way. I told her this wasn't in the budget when I decided to send the pistol in for work and I felt like I was being held up. She was very pleasant about the whole thing. She went to talk to her supervisor. Comes back and tells me "Send us the bill from the FFL. We will cover up to $25 of your expense".

Today my FFL calls to tell me that the MKIII is back! That's a three day turnaround!

I dont know if I even will send in the receipt. It wasn't really the money so much as I wanted a gesture to show that they would own their mistake and they did a class act.

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99 said:
Strange, the MKIII has a thread in barrel seperate from the receiver, I wonder why they would have given a seperate serial number.

They told me that they replace the barrel + receiver as a unit. I think this is cost driven. It's probably cheaper to simply grab a new receiver/barrel unit from their inventory than it is to unscrew the old barrel and then machine the breech end so that it aligns proplerly.

There is also liability: When they return the gun they have to certify it that it's in good working order (something a gunsmith tasked with just replacing the barrel may not have to do). This is probably safer with brand new parts.

I believe they also replace the whole action whenever they service these guns - again just to be be confident that the gun is completely sound. The action parts cost them next to nothing. When a consumer buys parts he is mostly paying for inventory and distribution costs.

They are known to swap out any aftermarket parts like a Volquartsen trigger set ( I uninstalled mine before sending it in) - again because they won't accept liability for someone else's parts.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Looking at my MKII the serial number is not on the frame as is typical of pistols but on the receiver. So that is probably why they replaced the whole thing with a new serial number.

I think they can't make a second gun with the same serial number, cause think the AFT says you can only have one of a serial number by law. Maybe the first person was mistaken when they quoted doing one of the same serial number, or they were planning on removing the barrel and screwing on a new one, then replace the hole thing, like th previous poster mentioned.

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
Well I picked up the MKIII from my FFL today. New barrel + receiver. Also a new box labeled with the new SN #.

When I went to remove the stock plastic grips with my nice aluminum ones I noticed that the cammed out screw that I had sent with the gun had not been replaced. Actually I bought replacement screws but I sent it in with the damaged one hoping they would just replace it. They didn't. Cheapskates!

Then I noticed they had replaced the rear sight. I know because the old one had dings in it.

Next step was to remove the trigger assy and put back the Volquartsen parts I had taken out before shipping it to them. I did a quick dry fire of the stock trigger. I dunno what they did to it but it's perfect. No creep, no scratchiness - just a crisp break!

meshugunner said:
Was I right or what? :)

So, in sum: $135 + shipping for a new barrel, reciever, sights, trigger job and reimbursement for the transfer fees.

Latest posts