Catastrophic failure Ruger GP-100 and S&B ammunition. He

Help Support Ruger Forum:

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Based on past history here is what will happen: Ruger will "confiscate" the damaged gun and will NOT return it. If damaged by bad ammo, Ruger will NOT send you a free gun.

In the past Ruger has offered to sell a replacement gun at factory cost. I don't know if they still do that.

Acorn

Buckeye
Not to start an argument but how can they confiscate your property without compenstion? It is still your property damaged or not. Now the gubmint might be able to do it but I don't see how a private entity can without some form of compesation.

5of7

Hunter
Hugh said:
Thanks for the additional photographs. I was wondering if there was any indication of the bullet striking the forcing cone and leaving brass residue. I see no indication. Hope you were not injured.

Inside.jpg

Is it my eyesight, or do I see a crack in the forcing cone at about the 4 o'clock position....

5of7

Hunter
Acorn said:
Not to start an argument but how can they confiscate your property without compenstion? It is still your property damaged or not. Now the gubmint might be able to do it but I don't see how a private entity can without some form of compesation.

I would wonder about that too.

I can see why they would not return ti in a damaged condition, but to just keep it without compensation? Noooooo waaaaaay.

dmize

Bearcat
In MY brush on MY farm in the middle of Missouri
Ok,forcing cone issue. Those primer strikes were offset by less than a couple thousanths at the very most,those are hollowpoints NOT WFN's. I have shot a couple Smiths that were out of time and shaved full wad cuttters and the strikes were a lot further off than that.
Gun out of time? Probably
Far enough out that the bullet struck something and spiked the pressure? NO

JNewell

Single-Sixer
You should always start with the ammo manufacturer. The only exception would be if you discover that the gun had been the subject of a recall, which someone mentioned as a possibility.

AJMD429

Bearcat
dmize said:
I have shot a couple Smiths that were out of time and shaved full wad cuttters and the strikes were a lot further off than that.
Gun out of time? Probably
Far enough out that the bullet struck something and spiked the pressure? NO
I agree.

Tony_The_Liger said:
Cheap is as cheap does, and this is not the first reported incident from the s&b ammo. I stay away from foreign ammunition altogether.
NOR is it the 'first reported incident' involving a Ruger.

They are STRONG guns, but it isn't impossible that a 'lemon' got out of the factory.