Question(s) about Ruger Service Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
I recently purchased a "shooter" - "truck gun" 4 inch Service Six. The serial # appears to begin with 159-615_ _. I will have to get the paperwork to be sure about the last two digits. I have a couple of questions related to it.

1) Is the Service Six similar to the Security Six in relation to some models being "low back", round butt - square butt, early model versus later model, etc.? I would like to find a set of original wood grips in case I wanted to change the aftermarket grips that are on it. I would rather not purchase a set and then find out they won't fit.

2) Would anyone have a set of grips that would fit this serial # range that they would sell at a good price? It is just going to be in my vehicle all the time so I don't see the need to invest in a like new set. Maybe I don't even change them out but would like to have the option.

Thanks for your time.

contender

Ruger Guru
Howdy neighbor!
If my faded memory is correct,, there were not any Service-Six guns with the "low back" design. Other than the sights,, the Service-Six is like the Security-Six.
As for grips,, sometimes you can find them on sleezbay,, or other trade sites,, but Ruger is offering new sets (old stock,, found & being cleared out,) at a reasonable price. Maybe buy a new set,, and use toe ones on it as the "rough" set.

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
Any any gun show should produce a used set too. I always see them in my area. Ruger made more than 1 million guns like this.

ShopRuger.com has the wood target grips and CDNN lists both rubber and wood alternatives.

Your Service Six has a square butt like most of the Security Sixes. The grips from the round butt Speed Six will fit too, but not the other way around.

Dave

Bobberfishin

Single-Sixer
Make sure you look "real hard" at the grips on CDNN. I picked up 2 sets, one was rubber (like Pachmayr, but not) & the others looked like original Ruger "target Grips". Both were made by Sile.
Their shipping was lightning fast because I also picked up 2 discontinued Marlin 80 magazines which were brand new
The grips I had recv'd both had rust on the gromets & the screws. They were packaged separately, so it made me wonder about "New/Old Stock" NOT made by the original manufacturer. Wood grips were "very cheap" knock-offs that no one would be happy with. I notified them right away & they sent me a return mailing slip & gave me a refund, so you can't argue with their customer service.
I have original target grips on my Security Six that is 30 yrs old & are in perfect condition. I also have Pachmayr's on another Security Six that are just great.
Look for the Pachmayrs with the medallions on them, they seemed to be just a bit more comfortble.

Hugh

Buckeye
Here ya go. You can get these factory grips from Ruger for $19.95:

19935_L.jpg

Here's the link to the Attic Treasures page:

http://shopruger.com/RLG-Security-Six-Grips/productinfo/19935/

You can also get pachmayr grips for the same price:

http://shopruger.com/PSB-Security-Six-Grips/productinfo/19939/

19939_L.jpg

pyth0n

Buckeye
I believe the low backs ended with the S/N prefix 150. 151 & up are high back. My speed six is a 151 but I don't recall if they were offered in 150 & below. The grips Hugh shows will fit.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Congrats on your purchase. I have a Police Service Six too. The only Sixes a person had to watch is the 151, 152 series. You should have no problem finding grips for them. These hoque monogrips work for me at the range. I still have the original grips but they are not comfortable shooting 357 magnums through the revolver.

Again congrats on your purchase. I love mine.
Howard

RugerServiceSix.jpg

Hugh

Buckeye
Here's my 3" Ruger Police Service Six .357 with Hogues. I can feed it any .357 and it's very manageable. The grips look kinda funny on it; so I'm going to try another kind and will let you folks know how they work out.

rugerpoliceservicesix3i.jpg

Edit to add my 4" Service Six .357 with the ones from Ruger's Attic Treasures:

p1010002o.jpg

stantheman86

Buckeye
Those "Pachmayrs" with the Ruger medallion are in fact Sile grips. Also, the later wood Target grips are also made by Sile.

I bought a few sets of the Sile target grips, and they are identical to a later set that were Ruger OEM grips, except for the medallion, which is Bird landing on a pile of mud or something. Mine also had rust on the escutcheons, but for $10 a piece I didn't care. They are good for a shooter grade Service Six.

I don't know who made the earlier target grips, maybe Ruger did themselves, but I know for a fact that sometime in the 80's Ruger contracted with Sile for both the wood Targets and the Rubber "Pachmayr-type" grips.

It's all in the name, I guess. Put a set of Siles out there and people are like "they are cheap knock offs", take the exact same grips, add a Ruger logo instead of a Sile logo, and they will go for $50 on FleaBay.

wornsix.jpg

This is a Service Six with OEM Sile grips, made for Ruger.

PC260003.JPG

These are Sile branded grips on the same gun. These grips are 100% identical to a later set I have, with Ruger medallions.

Even S&W fans don't want to hear that the late 80's-early 90's era Target grips, the ones sold in the blister packs as accessories and also used at the factory, are in fact made by Sile. S&W closed down their carpentry shop in the late 80's, but sold grips as accessories later on.