A Splitz Story w. 2 pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Probably around 1972 or '73 I was at a gun show with Splitz (probably the Rochester Civic Center?). We stumbled onto a fella who had a Ruger.357 BH in a brown paper bag. I didn't know much about Rugers even though I had a 357 BH that I bought at KMART in Rochester (probably at the urging of Splitz). Anyway, I liked the shorter bbl on the one in the paper bag so I asked my gun show partner what he thought: "should I buy it?". It was a lot of money for a used pistol $50 out the door. Of course, he said "YES" grab it; so I did. Many years later, probably on this forum, I learned what a flattop was; fortunately I had kept it. For some reason (thankfully) I stashed the original grips and installed several different grip sets on that old XR3 frame... even some stags that I eventually sold. So, being on COVID lock-down, I thought I would put the original grips on and take a few pictures:

She has the usual wear spots in the usual places; I do shoot'er a coupla times a year and think back to my days living in Minnesota with some great friends.
J

coach

Hunter
Very nice. That barrel length on a Blackhawk just looks well balanced.
I remember when Kmart sold guns too. I don't think I ever bought one there, but I did plenty of ammo.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
John and I had a great time in those days! Shot at rock targets in local rural limestone pits.............some interesting ricochets, right, John? Shot at the Southern Minnesota Sportsman Club range and had interesting meetings and shows with the Zumbro Valley Gun Collectors' membership! I still have that superb engraved OM Ruger 357 Blackhawk that John Kudlas did for you, John. Glad you decided to pass it on to me! Proud to call you my Brother! :wink:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Splitz.... You are the ONLY person that engraved Blackhawk would be trusted with... After all, it originated in Mn. (that was the K-Mart gun originally) and needed to go back home to someone who would keep it safe 'forever'. YUP, I remember the rock quarry ricochets and our club range... and our estate sale trips.... those were indeed good times my friend.
p.s. I've shown it before, but I still have the Colt Trooper he did for me.... remember it?

J

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Great story and good looking Flat top. My favorite barrel length. I'm not usually a fan of engraved revolvers but, that's one fine looking Colt.

Johnnu2, no way would Splitz mislead you on a gun in a brown paper bag. That's just the kind of guy he is. I tell you what, I'll give you $100 on that gun, put it back in a brown paper bag. :D I think a guy should make a profit on a gun that's a shooter. :D

Johnnu2

Hunter
BPJ, I think that in today's "market", that $100 would probably only get you the brown paper bag :)
I'm mighty glad that I'm not buying anything anymore....
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2 U
J.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
JOHN, I AM OFF ON THE HUNT..........doing the dark side tango...within two weeks have found two Luger WWI artillary models(1916 and 1917).......99+%.....one with a snail drum...........Adding to my military collection........Life is good. Need to see my financier as "the seller " says he has a Navy.......Oh Oh 8)

Johnnu2

Hunter
Nice Going my friend.....

You always had lots of good 'stuff' ..... no reason to stop now!!!

J.

street

Hunter
HAWKEYE#28 said:
JOHN, I AM OFF ON THE HUNT..........doing the dark side tango...within two weeks have found two Luger WWI artillary models(1916 and 1917).......99+%.....one with a snail drum...........Adding to my military collection........Life is good. Need to see my financier as "the seller " says he has a Navy.......Oh Oh 8)
Splitz, Don't you wish you could buy that Artillery model for this price. This page was copied from an American Rifleman Sep. 1963. :lol:

414500384.jpg

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Yes, Street, yes! However, realities set in.......I was working rotating shifts at 3M and making about $90 a week plus shift premium...had a Bearcat and used my Dad's firearms....making car payments......married in 4/63. Frankly, I did not have money, nor a clue, and lots of other things on my mind..........loved hunting stone artifacts after big rains......... 8)

street

Hunter
Splitz! You had a very good job. In 1963 I was working at a woodworking factory for $1.35 an hr. That's $54.00 a week. Not until I got a job at the local GE plant in Aug. 1965 did I start making $90.00 a week. I did manage to buy a brand new Super Blackhawk 44. Mag. that year, serial number in the 19,000 range. The polish job on that gun would knock your eyes out. The cylinder looked liked it had been polished with 1000 grit and about 10 coats of lacquer sprayed on it and each coat hand rubbed . The whole grip frame was that beautiful pink that we collectors like. I have to get it out of the safe every once in a while just to put my hands on it and look it over. :wink:

Latest posts