2Dogs S&W Sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
My good buddy Fermin worked his magic again & built me a front sight, custom made for my S&W 16-4 32 H&R magnum that is perfect in every way. He duplicated the original except he narrowed it to 1/10" cross checkered the front, made it a patridge style (I still call it partridge) & blued it & got it back to me in 10 days & I shot it yesterday for the first time, it's sweet! That little bit of extra daylight really helps!
If you have old eyes & need a little help this is the raspberries for a sharper sight picture, especially on the shorter barreled guns. My little 4" 32 magnum is going to be shot a lot all summer now that I've got it back.
The Ground Squirrels are out heavy now & I have lots of 32 magnum HP's loaded up, it's time to thin the herd.
lEHUHjbh.jpg

KPTJYESh.jpg

t0BneUGh.jpg

5swDJpEh.jpg

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
I have several of Fermin's sights,, and I too can attest to how good they are. Them dern ground squirrels are surely gonna suffer!

hittman

Staff member
I did business with Fermin once. Stellar service and communication in every way.

Almost makes a fella wish he had MORE business to throw his way.

snakeeyes4445

Single-Sixer
Please tell us more about the loads that you are regulating this front sight for. The most useful measurement is from the top of the ramp.
I imagine that the original front needs to be ground off and a slot milled in the ramp...correct?

sixshot

Buckeye
These little K frame guns are very strong because the cylinders are only drilled for 32 caliber, that's why many are converted to 327 magnum. I chose not to do that as I have several 327's already so this little beauty stays as it is.
Fermin's sight work speaks for itself & I always shoot much better after he's worked his magic on my sights, trust me, they are worth every penny. I can't remember now but I believe these sights are pinned, so there's no milling involved.
For loads I mostly shoot 2 bullets, a 100 gr RCBS SWC with 3 grs of WST that is used mostly for Ground Squirrels all summer. This load is very accurate & runs around 950 fps depending on barrel length & how hard you jerk the trigger.
The most used load is a 100 gr Miha HP with Longshot powder, which is a powder I'm using more & more as I work up loads in different calibers. This load isn't published so I won't show it but it's perfectly safe in my gun but unsafe for Ground Squirrels & Badgers! Other good powders are W231, WST, HS6, Universal & Bullseye. I never use the VV powders, the added expense makes no sense to me for use in a six gun. I can find several powders that can satisfy my needs quite easily without VV, just my opinion.

Dick

Snake45

Hawkeye
I too am fighting aging eyes. For several years now I've wondered why some genius doesn't come up with the obvious solution and make us BIGGER sights. :shock: Where is it written in stone that handgun front sights can be no more than 1/8" wide? Nowhere I can find, and I've checked, including the Bible and the United States Code! How about some front sights 1/4" wide and 1/4" (at least) tall? Even 3/16" would be a big improvement.

I built up a parts-box Walther P.38 with a rare Walther .22LR conversion top half on it. This has a front sight .140" wide on it (1/8" is .125"), with a rear sight notch to match. Even this .015" extra width is apparent and extra visible to my eyes, and this P.38 is one of my favorite plinkers for this reason.