Inferior firearms vs function and reliability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Let me say upfront that I am a Ruger firearms fan, otherwise why would I be signed up on the website?
That being said, I am getting confused regarding the actual quality and reliability of supposed inferior firearms. In this case, I am speaking of Rock Island Armory 1911 handguns. First of all,
they are much less expensive then our Rugers, S&Ws, Kimbers, Springfields, etc. Secondly they shoot and function every bit as well as our favorite "superior" brands. My eyes have been opened to this fact just recently with the recent purchase of 2 RIA 1911 pistols. Both have exceeded my expectations to the point of rethinking future purchases. One is a Mil-spec 1911A1 45 auto. The second is a 1911A1 Rock Ultra FS in 10mm.
I reviewed and posted remarks about the 45 elsewhere in this forum. The 10mm is a recent purchase which has been shot by me and others the last couple of days.

The positives:
100% reliable with mild to +P ammo including FMJ, Lead, and JHP. A little over 100 rounds fired.
Accuracy is very good. Shoots to point of aim consistently. Very comfortable to shoot. I really like the sights, especially the fiber optic front sight.

The only negative to me was getting hit in the forehead by ejected brass a couple of times.

Yesterday, I was shooting at about 10 yards off hand, both braced and free hand. Results of some shots on the target below.

My conclusion is that the RIA performed better for me than the same configuration in my previously owned SR1911, Kimber, Colt Delta Elite, and other 1911 platforms I have owned or shot. Not only is the RIA a bargain, but in my opinion equal to or superior to those mentioned.

This of course is just my opinion. :wink:

Dave

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'm not surprised. RIAs are made by Armscor in the Philippines, and they might be the largest producer of 1911s in the world at this time (under various brand names). They have a very good reputation.

As to 1911 accuracy, you never know how one's gonna shoot until you shoot it. When I started shooting them almost 50 years ago, 2" groups at 25 yards were considered pretty darn accurate for everything except NRA Bullseye guns; most shot more in the 3-4" range. Today just about 1911 writeup you see in the mags has 2" and sub-2" groups, regardless of barrel length or price point.

The most accurate 1911 I've ever shot is one I put together from a (investment cast) Fed Ord frame, a WWII Ithaca slide, and a used WWII surplus barrel a neighbor gave me. I fitted it with an oversize barrel bushing and finished it with a bunch of leftover and "junk" parts and damned if that stupid gun won't shoot cloverleafs or near cloverleafs all day long! :shock:

jgt

Buckeye
It is the luck of the draw today for any firearm you buy. I have a lightweight commander SR1911 and ATI subcompact officers. Both .45 acp. The ATI locked up tight as a drum the first time I tried to cycle a round through it. I was using ball Winchester white box ammo. I didn't know if it is the magazine, slide lock or a combination of things. I decided to try to educate myself on what is going on and have learned a lot since that day. One thing I believe is Armscore parts may be a mix of well fitting and not so well fitting parts. Once one knows what they are doing it is sometimes just a matter of fluff and buff, fine tune, and replacement of parts as the softer ones wear. To someone depending on a gunsmith, it may be to their advantage to buy the Ruger. If you are someone that can buy the correct tools and use them, there is something to be said for the Armscor line of guns available. I decided to keep mine and use it as a learning experience. The Ruger, to me, was worth what I paid for it. I believe I can rely on it to shoot when I need it to.
By the way, change the angle on the face of the ejector and it will stop the brass in the face problem. Good luck.

hittman

Staff member
I must be the only person on the planet who had bad luck with the RIA 1911s.

Luckily they were cheap enough I didn't take a beating on them.

Just want to make it clear, my experience is based on the 10mm in the 1911 platform. The comparison is based on MY experience. I have owned or shot about every moderate priced 1911 produced in 10mm. Every one operated fine until you start shooting +P ammo through them. The Ruger would fail to eject or feed and the safety would engage along with the slide stop. Now, my friends SR1911 that he currently owns runs really well with all manner of ammo. However, this is his second one, the first being a lemon. I owned several different Kimbers and every one of them had failure to feed or eject issues. Worst of all was the Colt Delta Elite. The Colt doesn't have a fully supported chamber and I experienced case head separation with +P SAAMI ammunition. The point is, that the RIA had no issues out of the box no matter what ammo was used. That has to mean something..... I am just saying that from my limited experience, :roll: , I was pleased and surprised. Now, it could be said that mine is the exception to the rule, but that was my experience. As a side note, I have experience with many 10mm chambered pistols. The only other platform that has been pretty flawless has be my Sig P220 SAO Elite. Again, this is just my opinion and I fully understand others opinions as well. :D

Dave

Mike J

Hunter
When I bought my SR 1911 8 or 9 years ago I wanted to learn more about 1911's in general so I started looking around reading up on different offerings. At that time I saw many people disparaging the Armscor guns. The past few years most of what I have seen online & what I have been told by people that own them is positive. A guy at work that prefers 1911's for carry likes them very much. I prefer to buy American but that is because of my own preference. Not because I believe foreign manufactured goods are defective.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
dakota1911 said:
Maybe Biden will let Norinco sell in the USA again and you will see nicely made 1911s cheaper than RIAs.

I have a Norinco 1911, I bought it new for $249.99 and the thing feeds and shoots as well as any of my Colts including my Gold Cup National Match, I have a fried who bought a Rock Island for Wild Bunch and he has been very happy with it.

DGW1949

Hunter
Owner of two RIA 1911A1-FS .45ACP pistols here. Both worked first time-every time and both shot to POA right out of the box...Given some of the issues that I've had with genuine Colts over the years, I'm going to agree with Heliman on this....I mean really, what actually constitutes an "inferior gun" anyway?

DGW

Owner of two RIA 1911A1-FS .45ACP pistols here. Both worked first time-every time and both shot to POA right out of the box...Given some of the issues that I've had with genuine Colts over the years, I'm going to agree with Heliman on this....I mean really, what actually constitutes an "inferior gun" anyway?

DGW

I've had a similar experience with a Taurus PT-99 (Beretta 92 variant, produced in Brazil). Some folks prefer Beretta 92s; I actually prefer the Taurus, because of the frame-mounted safety. Is the Taurus an "inferior gun"? I've read that the fit & finish on the Beretta 92s is noticeably better... but I've never heard of a Taurus slide breaking (which reportedly occurred with at least one factory Beretta, during US military trials).

Might just be that "inferior" depends on what your personal priorities are!
:)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The 1911 platform fits in the category of "mature technology". That means that unless a manufacturer departs from that for some reason - make it (subjectively) 'better', cut's corners on materials, poor QA, etc. - there is no reason why one brand should be any better (or worse) than another.

Last edited:

Mike J

Hunter
I wish this thread hadn't popped back up. PSA had Taylors & co. (Armscor) 10 mm 1911's on sale shortly before Christmas for under $400 & then a week or so later they were $430. I didn't bite because I am trying to be a responsible adult & I really don't need one. Seeing this just makes me think I might have made the wrong decision letting the deal go by.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
There are some guns that don't have longevity and poor quality control, yet inexpensive guns in the right hands can be more effective than expensive guns in an inferior shooters hand.

I used to buy the less expensive guns and ended up buying the one I really wanted in the first place later. This ended up costing me extra dollars. I liked the sp101 and kimber k6s, but I ended up buying a taurus 605. Well....I now have the sp101 and lost about $150-$200 dollars on the deal.

It wasn't that much, but that could have gone toward ammo. Live and learn. I agree that if your happy with your gun, don't worry about what others say. Save your money and enjoy your purchase.

Paul B

Hunter
Any experience I have had with an RIA 1911 is very very thin, like one gun for maybe a bit over an hour. The experience was not good. I'll get back to this in a moment.

I've carried a 1911 of one sort or another for more years that I care to count. Evene where it was literally impossible to get a perming (San Francisco) there was a 1911 tucked into my swaistband. My current carry gun is an almost strictly stock Colt Combat Commander. I say almost because I throated the feed ramp and barrel entry for more reliable feeding with SWV and WC cast bullets I use for practice. I also replaced the grip safety with one for a beavertail tang as the original literally dug holes in the web of my hand.

On the deal with the RIA, fist it was not my gun. I was packing up at the range when a group od japanese business men and a coiuple of Americans showed up. Apparently they were going to allow the Japanese men to shoot real guns, something they can't do at home. I kindd of stuck around to watch a bit and while the short session with .22s went by quickly, they men wanted to shoot the "big stuff". Biggest they had was that RIA 1911 and that's when the trouble started. That was the jammingest 1911 I've ever seen. Well I decided to ask if I could help and when I shot the gun it would jam after two or three rounds. Magazine bad? I don't know. The action was pretty rough and I'm thinking it would that 2 to 3 hundred rounds if not more to loosen that gun up a bit. I even tried a magazine for my Commander and it jammed. I'm thinking the feed ramp and throat were rougher that a cob as other that that the gun seemed OK. We finished the shoot with the .45 using my Commander, his magazines and ammo. No jams. There some very wide grins after we were through shooting from those gentlemen. I gave the two guys who were doing this my phone number and told them that if they ever wanted to do this again to give me a shout. Told them I could add a few .44 mags to the fun.
Paul B,

noahmercy

Blackhawk
My past experience says that often the inexpensive imports are simply not as durable as domestically-produced high quality firearms. Often the tolerances aren't held as tight, and I have seen issues with uneven heat treating. An example is some of the imported 1911s from the 1990s. Most were fine, but I ran across a couple that wouldn't group for doodly. Install beavertail safeties, more than one had very shallow heat treating, and some had voids and inclusions in the frame steel. As a range officer, I saw two go "full auto" because the sear wore excessively due to the metal being soft. Also seen manual safeties that wouldn't stay engaged due to the same lack of proper hardening. I never encountered those issues working on 1911s made by other American armories, even wartime production guns. I always felt that if I just wanted a range gun, the affordable imports would be fine, but I would carry a "better" or "best" quality domestic gun for personal protection.

That is not to say that today's reasonably-priced import firearms will suffer from any of the same issues, and I am not bashing on any of them....just relaying my past experience.

Strangely, reliability and accuracy don't seem to know a price point. There are $100 Phoenix Arms rimfires that function 100% even when filthy, and shoot well enough to knock down bowling pins at 25 yards. There are also $1,000 1911s that must be fed a very particular diet and kept immaculate and properly lubed to get through one magazine without jamming, and might hit that same pin three out of five times.

H Richard

Bearcat
I have had a couple of the RIA's, a 9mm and a 45, both the "Compact" model's. (Think Colt Officers Mod size). The 45 was the first, acquired in 2006, and at that time was a basic model. I had to add the beavertail grip safety, and better sights., as well as a trigger job. It was a great carry pistol, and accuracy was near equal to my Springfield Armory , but not quite as accurate as my Colt Gold Cup (custom accuracy enhanced). It was solid, and shot many hundreds of rounds without any problems.

The 9mm, acquired in 2013, came fully equipped with good sights, beavertail, and trigger. I did only a light touch up to the trigger. I used this gun to develop my 9mm loads, and it digested everything well, but around about 1500+ rounds some battering showed up in the full length guide rod, and the reverse plug it rides in. It only took a little stoning to fix. My opinion is the frames are cast, and the metal is somewhat softer than either my Colt or Springfield.

Both guns shot very well, and if you plan on just routine use would serve you well. If you plan to heavy use you might want to consider another brand with a little higher grade of "forged" steel.