Question regarding a .38 Super barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
Hey guys and gals, I have a question: Who offers a .38 super barrel to replace the 9mm barrel in my 1911? My 9mm does not a have a ramped barrel so I believe I can just drop in a replacement .38 super barrel and perhaps a different recoil spring? If anyone can give me guidance it will greatly appreciated.

Gracias, Su Amigo : mexicanjoe!

ptypegreen

Single-Sixer
MidwayUSA has at least one, I am sure some others have one too. Whatever one you choose get one that headspaces on the case mouth, not the semi-rim. I believe the stock spring for 1911 38 Super is 14 lb, but I am not certain.

ptypegreen

Single-Sixer
The 38 Super mags fit a standard 1911 mag well. The 9mm mags have an internal spacer to keep the cartridges forward, the 38 Super mags do not.

NikA

Buckeye
32 thousandths difference between 9mm and .40 S&W case head diameters. .38 Super semi-rim falls between those two. Pretty sure I've heard of folks using 9mm slides for 40 and vice versa, seems like 38 Super should be fine.

loaded round

Hunter
If I may, I'd like to reccomend Bar-Sto barrels (barsto.com). I have had several of their custom barrels installed on my 1911 frames and they did an excellent job as far as accuracy, quality and price. Expect to have a gunsmith fit your custom barrel to your slide as Bar-sto makes their barrels slightly oversize and need to be fitted. One of the first barrels I ordered from them was for the 9x25 Dillon that I bought just for fun since I bought a set of Dillon dies in this caliber very cheaply at a garage sale because no one knew what they were. Try them.

Latest posts