I just read a depressing thought on another forum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45flattop

Single-Sixer
MIM parts in SR1911s? Say it ain't so Joe, if so I'm going to spend a ton on
aftermarket forged parts for the one I bought, at least I know these are forged.
If anyone knows definitively that the rumor is true and can identify these MIM
parts by name/location, or any other method of id, it would be hugely appreciated.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
Aw geeze, another "My gun is trash, it has MIM parts!"

There is nothing wrong with MIM parts done by competent manufacturers. MIM started out in the aerospace industry. Mainstream manufacturers know how to do good MIM.

One of my S&W 500 Mags has a MIM part or two and it's superb gun in every respect.

I suppose you're also traumatized by the concept of a cast not forged revolver frame? Ruger does investment casting on it's big bore revolvers and NO ONE with a brain has ever accused Ruger revolvers of being weak. Don

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Donnieweps said:

There is nothing wrong with MIM parts done by competent manufacturers. MIM started out in the aerospace industry. Mainstream manufacturers know how to do good MIM.

One of my S&W 500 Mags has a MIM part or two and it's superb gun in every respect.

I suppose you're also traumatized by the concept of a cast not forged revolver frame? Ruger does investment casting on it's big bore revolvers and NO ONE with a brain has ever accused Ruger revolvers of being weak. Don

You are entitled to your opinions on MIM however Ruger revolvers as you pointed out and most of the
remainder of their products are investment cast NOT MIM. I also suspect that you
have never had an MIM part fail and the fragments lock up a self defense weapon
at the single worst moment imaginable, I HAve!! Hence my determination to never
tolerate another such even near me if it can be helped. By they way, there is nothing at all wrong with my brain thanks. . Most if not all of us
came here not expecting to have our motives impugned or our intelligence insulted.

Cholo

Staff member
Donnieweps said:
So, you'd rather have MIM parts than forged parts? There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't know anyone who would prefer MIM.

45, I had to pull one out. MIM parts seem to include the thumb safety, the standard sights, and the slide stop release, as well as the previously mentioned grip safety. Don't know about inside the gun. I can't tell what the mag release is made out of.

gunzo

Buckeye
As has been stated, if done right, there's not a thing wrong with MIM. Folks really need to get used to it.

MIM is not going away. Instead, it's likely to be seen more & more.

Refusing to be an owner of anything MIM is likely impossible these days. For instance; The connecting rods in my old Chevy 350 are MIM, as well as the ones in my wifes newer Toyota.

It's here to stay.

NikA

Buckeye
Newer Ruger revolvers (at least SP, GP, and Redhawk lines) have MIM triggers and in some cases MIM hammers.

At this point, a MIM part produced by a quality manufacturer is probably as likely to have a defect as a forged part. The MIM part is more likely to be in the correct tolerance range with fewer machining operations than the forged part.

If you want to replace MIM parts with boutique bespoke forged parts, that's your perogative. Just remember that makes you a bit of a snowflake.

As for me, I'd prefer to have parts that are dimensionally correct and function for the lifetime of the system, regardless of what manufacturing process was used to create them.

hittman

Staff member
Hard to buy a new gun without MIM.
Harder to buy a new automobile without electronics.

And Lord knows plastic guns are junk .... just like my Nylon Remington rifles and Glocks .... oh and Ruger, SA, etc.

Ya can't fight evolution and progress .... even if you don't agree with it.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
45flattop said:
Donnieweps said:

Most if not all of us
came here not expecting to have our motives impugned or our intelligence insulted.

Well, since you didn't question the strength of Rugers, I didn't question your intelligence did I? I was only saying that the investment casting Ruger does produces bull strong frames. Thus, Ruger doesn't need to do forgings.

As one of the responders said, MIM reduces cost by producing parts that are dimensionally accurate and require less hand fitting than forgings.

I had a 1998 Chevy Camaro Z-28, it had powdered connecting rods that were mechanically cracked and then mated to the crankshaft. Never an issue. It's like swearing to never buy anything made in China. While I certainly wish to return the manufacture of crticial/strategic products to the US, I have doubts that we will ever get to the point that there is nothing made in China in retail stores. Trying too hard to fight that will only drive you crazy. Don

Cholo

Staff member
A member comes on the RugerForum wanting to know which parts of an SR1911 are MIM so he can change them out with forged parts and all people can do is tell him how great MIM parts are. Snowflake?

Perhaps he'd have been better off going to the S&W or Colt forums with his question about a Ruger 1911.

scubadad

Bearcat
I would think a call to Ruger may help answer the questions.

I am not going to debate the quality or lack of concerning MIM parts. We do enough of that on the 1911 forum.

My question is. If you are against mim parts would it not be more cost effective to buy say a dan wesson with way less mim then buy a ruger and replace all the internals? If you have the skills and tools then maybe. If sending off to a smith then that is where I question the decision.

gunzo

Buckeye
Cholo said:
A member comes on the RugerForum wanting to know which parts of an SR1911 are MIM so he can change them out with forged parts and all people can do is tell him how great MIM parts are. Snowflake?

Perhaps he'd have been better off going to the S&W or Colt forums with his question about a Ruger 1911.

Yes, the OP did seem to be melting down over MIM parts. Yet was still given info on which parts that might be in question.

Otherwise, there was an effort to slow the meltdown & comfort the idea of the material presently used.

I think we all did a fine job. :)

langenc

Single-Sixer
The new technologies are here to stay. Can you imagine making guns the 'old fashioned way' in the quantities needed now? Price?? Wait times?

45flattop

Single-Sixer
NikA said:
Can you imagine making guns the 'old fashioned way' in the quantities needed now? Price?? Wait times?

For 1911's we already know exactly what this looks like. Just look at the market for any of the boutique 1911 manufacturers, e.g., Wilson Combat.

Which is just part of the reason that I sure won't pay through the nose for
Wilson's over priced and under performing trash. I got past the problem by
contacting an for now unnamed major maker and inquired if they used this
technique(in addition to the firearms they sell any part you need for a
1911) and their customer service rep assured me that they only use forgings.
So problem solved, every single part in the Commander I have now has those
questionable ones replaced, I did learn that the one I have already has a forged
Ed Brown hammer and matched sear.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
45flattop said:
MIM parts in SR1911s? Say it ain't so Joe, ...
Let's be honest . . . If there were a real problem with MIM parts, do you, honestly,
believe they would continue using them? Remember, broken parts are the purview
of the manufacturer for the first few years, and any real problem would cost them
dearly (REAL $$$s, and reputation).

It's like the 9mm v .40S&W v .45ACP, and gobs of other discussions that keep
people busy at their keyboards.