Remove Staked Grip Bushing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
Yeah, it is not a Ruger 1911 question but one that concerns a Series 80 Stainless Gold Cup.

The gun is in the original box but with one of the grip panels not installed.

One of the grip bushings is badly mangled at the slot head as if someone took a screwdriver to it. Most likely I will be able to carefully file or tap back the twisted piece and reinstall the grip. The grip threaded hole is undamaged. Another thought is to file down all four bushings and use thin panels and shorter screws.

This gun has the grip bushings staked from the Colt factory. If it was necessary, how is a staked grip bushing removed?

Kuhnhausen talks about over-size replacements by drill but not removing staked bushings. Others talk about using a Dremel with a 1/8 inch ball to carefully grind away the staked material from underneath and inside the mag well. I am aware of the Challis tool (have one on order) though it is used to remove bushings that have not been staked.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
I removed Colt factory bushings that were staked using a bushing driver bit from Brownells.

I always hit the bushing with some heat on the chance there is some thread locker present.
When using the driver, I clamp my frame to the work bench, apply pressure on the bit driver handle to hold the driver in place correctly(I believe this is a priority), and use a small wrench to turn the driver. The wrench provides leverage to apply the force in a more controlled manner (at least that's my take on it).
Don't try to muscle it right off (though probably possible): get it to move a tiny bit and back it off, then go again.

After looking at it, I see no reason that the Challis tool couldn't do it as well. I like the design of it (using a grip screw to keep it securely in place and plenty of leverage with that cross bar) and will probably purchase one. Thanks for bringing that up.

Regards,
Greg

RatCat454

Single-Sixer
Received the Challis tool this morning and made quick work of the four staked bushings on my Colt Series 80 Stainless Gold Cup. One of the bushings was missing about 40% of the top from someone using a screwdriver. One of the other bushings was mangled. All that was needed was to do a little clean-up with a file to get the tool to fit over the damage areas. No evidence of thread locker.

Replaced all four with the Challis bushings, very nice items!