SR1911 10mm... I'm gonna try it again.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

After all the previous dust settled, I found I still wanted and needed a SR1911 in 10mm.

Just received this one yesterday. Wish me luck. :mrgreen:

And because Davidson's was the only salvation to my previous experience, I made sure this one came from Davidson's, too. :wink:

Cholo said:
I'll wish you good luck! What kind of ammo will you be breaking it in with?

Mostly target stuff. 180 grain at 1150 fps+/-. But I also need to know that it will handle SAAMI spec ammo, 180 gr at 1250-1300 fps, so I'll be shooting that stuff pretty regular too. :mrgreen:

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Does this model have the double nested within one another recoil spring setup
like the Colt Delta Elite did or does? Good thing the one I shot did, the 1911
design puts the bore axis way too high to make shooting it tolerable for very
long, the only thing I ever found tolerable in 10mm is of all things, a GLOCK!

45flattop said:
Does this model have the double nested within one another recoil spring setup
like the Colt Delta Elite did or does? Good thing the one I shot did, the 1911
design puts the bore axis way too high to make shooting it tolerable for very
long, the only thing I ever found tolerable in 10mm is of all things, a GLOCK!

Single spring...

Interesting, the very personal perceived differences in recoil. I find the 1911 in 10mm to be extremely easy to shoot, and the Glock, the most difficult. :D

Since I've been away from the SR1911 10mm, I've shot and/or owned other 10mm's. I found the Springfield XD-m to be very easy to shoot, but just didn't have the accuracy edge that a 1911 possesses.

dakota1911

Buckeye
The Colts do indeed have double springs with a special Delrin? guide rod. Here seen on my 1990 Delta Gold Cup.

Now Wolf does not sell them. They say use a single 23lb spring with the tradition guide rod. The Ruger SR1911-10 uses (I think) the same recoil spring they use in their 45ACP, so about 18lb. Just a thought if you have problems with hot loads. I do not shoot really hot loads in mine as I also have a Bruin in 6 inch.

And if I want to shoot reeeely hot 10mm loads I have a Blackhawk convertible in 10mm/40S&W. Here with my Blackhawk in 357 Mag.

Sorry Dave. I couldn't wait.

Took it out today. Ran close to a hundred rounds. All 180 grain. Everything from powder-puff 1050 and 1150 fps all the way to SAAMI standard stuff at 1250-1320 fps.

The pistol performed perfectly, without a hint of any impending failure. :mrgreen:

And as was my first SR1911 10mm before it blew up, this pistol is truly a dream to shoot.

Heliman said:
WAYNO said:
Mike J said:
I really want this to work out for you this time Wayno.

Me too. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

The odds are very much in my favor. :wink:

I figured you would wring it's out before I got back. I am glad it is working for you! Any issues with the slide lock or safety lever?

Not a single issue. Both the slide stop and safety remained in the position intended. :mrgreen:

Dave Nowlin

Bearcat
I will make a suggestion which will reduce battering of the pistol. Get a flat bottom series 70 firing pin stop from EGW and fit it to your gun. The extra resistance will slow the slide slightly and make feeding easier and reduce battering of the frame. I have seen one picture of a barrel lug beginning to tear. I believe this will also reduce the probability of that happening.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Mine is still doing fine as of a couple weeks ago. I did put some stocks on it I bought from Ruger years ago off shopruger called "delta grips". I told myself if they ever came out with a 10mm I would have to put them on it. I also bought myself a shorter barrel 10mm/40s&W Blackhawk.

I think with the Blackhawk a lot of 40 S&W cylinders are going to get milled out for 10mm mag. Granted only a couple companies sell loaded ammo but Starline sells the brass.

Latest posts