RUGER SR1911 COMMANDER-STYLE in stainless steel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brucear777

Bearcat
I'm thinking about getting me a Ruger SR1911 Commander Style in stainless steel what do you guys think about this gun.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Love mine I bought in Jan 2013. It is on the top below. These were so popular down here in the SW (maybe the made in Prescott, AZ thing) that I bought some aftermarket stocks for it so I could easily tell it apart from my friends. Then in 2014 I bought a Night Watchman which is the black one. In 2015 I bought the LW one on the bottom. All these have been great.

RCA1504

Bearcat
The SS Commander makes a good close combat handgun, it is not a target model. With a little bit of refinish work they have enough flat space for a good engraving job. I have done a couple of these as military Spl Ops retirement gifts.
Ed

RCA1504

Bearcat
I guess I was supposed to leave a picture or two, excuse the lapse.

This is the open carry retirement gift. Missing from the picture is the mag pouch engraved with Halo wings and the belt with his 13 country's wings engraved. The belt's center "wings" is a very rare presentation Greek CRO flash, the gold helmet of Achilles, with gold lightning bolts. All pieces go into an engraved glass case. This set is for CRO#5, the senior active duty CRO (combat rescue officer) and senior Space Shuttle crew recovery team leader.
The CC has a 220 grit sandpaper like non slip finish. The sights are Novak w/o night sights, front sight is formed and serrated, hammer and sear are match with a setting to 2 pounds, barrel and bushing are match, chamber is relieved for 100% feeding, recoil spring rod is two piece, spring is 14 pounds, ambi safety, non extended slide stop, tuned ejector, tuned extractor, rear of slide and extractor are serrated, polished and engraved slide, Hi Power style front slide cuts, original Safari extended grip safety, original Videcki trigger, S&A flat, smooth mag well sand blasted to a 220 grit sand paper like finish, 5 fitted 8 round power magazines that are engraved with the last 3, the mags will each feed 8 empty cartridge cases as fired from this gun without sizing. The shooting grips are Ergo grips made by the maker of the PJ Axe, with deco screws. The display grips are Vietnam Water Buffalo stabalized, left engraved w PJ flash, right engraved with CRO flash. The green feet on the El Passo holster is the traditional butt cheek tattoo of a PJ. The knife sheath is the Puma ambi sheath engraved with the SF combat dive school bubble, the knife is a donated 1970 Stainless Puma Skinner, never sharpened, it has an inlayed, stainless initial plate.

I built a similar full size Remington WWII type dedication for the "That Others May Live " Foundation gun that was used as a funds raiser for the foundation. The winner of the drawing was the crew Chief for Pedro 66, the rescue bird that was ambushed and shot down in Afghanistan. She asked that her deceased crew members be engraved on the grips, she got the helo on one grip and the crew on the other. Her shooting grips were exhibition iron wood. The gun raised $12k for a great cause rescue crew's famalies.

I owe another gun to the PJ Foundation, have not forgot you guys.
Ed

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I have the all stainless Commander variant, at first I thought I'd had a stroke
since racking the slide was agonizingly hard until I borrowed a spring gauge
and measured the recoil spring and the previous owner had put of all things,
a 30#(approximately) spring in it for heaven knows why, it would reliably
stovepipe or FTF follow up rounds with standard 230 gr round nosed factory loads so I never tried
any HP or cast loads, once I got an 18# spring in it those problems went
away thankfully. One thing I especially like about all the SR1911 series is
the integral plunger tube as opposed to the usual 1911 staked style since
I'd had more than one come un staked locking up the pistol until I could
get it to my gunsmith.

Latest posts