Lubricants

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dickn52

Bearcat
Ok, here we go again, but I need opinions (? what am I doing?) on which you all feel is the superior lube for the 1911. I have been using RIG grease, but have used Tetra in the past. Just seeking a consensus, and yes I know this is opening a whup ass can of worms.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
In 67 years of shooting and pissing away all my money on lubricants I NEVER USED A SINGLE ONE THAT DID NOT WORK JUST FRICKIN' FINE, thank you very much !!!
DO NOT make mountains outta molehills nor think that goop ain't just goop PERIOD.

And so it goes....

Mike J

Hunter
Some people put a lot of stock in different specialty oils or greases. I usually just use synthetic motor oil. It works fine.

dickn52

Bearcat
My neighbor said to use the synthetic motor oil too. Ok, I knew this was a worm can waiting to be opened.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Go to the Gunblue490 channel on YouTube. He has an SR1911, and he uses no lubricant at all. That's right: Zero. Zilch. Zip. Nada. He says his gun works just fine. He is retired now, but was an armorer for a police department.

dickn52

Bearcat
When I worked in US Customs (before they ruined it with Homeland Security BS) we had a dry treatment we used. NEVER lubed again unless you cleaned it with acetone or something similar. Then re-treat and go again. Can't remember the name though.

GKC

Blackhawk
I clean my guns with Break Free CLP, and use Weapon Shield as a lubricant (which is really a cleaner and lube combination.) I wish I could use Ballistol, which is a wonderful CLP product, but I just can't go the smell. (I guess I could use a clothes pin on my nose.) If you can stand the smell, it does a great job.

I haven't used grease in a while...the Weapon Shield works fine for me.

DGW1949

Hunter
When ya get right down to it, the 1911 pistol is just a machine, and as any mechanic can tell you, all machinery runs best when clean and properly oiled. As to what "properly" means when applied to a 1911 though, depends on which exact material any one particular version is made from, the anticipated operating conditions, and so forth and so on...

My point being that what's best for one may not be best for another...which when ya think about it, may account for the wide range of recommendations we get from different owners.
Just speaking for myself, I've only owned 1911's which were made from carbon steel, so I've always followed the US Army 1911A1 manual. On the other hand, if I had a stainless gun and didn't know for sure what to use, I'd probably contact it's manufacturer for guidance.

But that's just me and how I look at it.

DGW

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've used everything from WD-40 to LSA to CLP and it all worked fine. Few years back I read someone recommending Tetra grease for the slide rails and I tried it and I swear the gun ran noticeably smoother. So that's my standard 1911 slide rail lube now. One caveat: You'll have to clean it out and replace it every so often or it will get gritty with burned powder. How often depends on how often you shoot. But it's not really any big deal.

dickn52

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
I've used everything from WD-40 to LSA to CLP and it all worked fine. Few years back I read someone recommending Tetra grease for the slide rails and I tried it and I swear the gun ran noticeably smoother. So that's my standard 1911 slide rail lube now. One caveat: You'll have to clean it out and replace it every so often or it will get gritty with burned powder. How often depends on how often you shoot. But it's not really any big deal.
I like Tetra. Used it on my shotty. As for cleaning. Yep, I clean everything all the way everytime anyway. I fear the slide not working when I need it most.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Just My .02 .. I use stp. Oil Treatment On My Rails only. FP10 On Everything Else. S.T.P. On A Qtip...

Mike J

Hunter
FWIW I have played around with different oils & greases. My old Ruger P-series only ever had 2 malfunctions. One was ammo related. The other I had used some Shooters Choice (IIRC) grease on the rails. I had overlubed. I had a FTE. After clearing it I locked the slide open & looked in. The grease had migrated everywhere inside the pistol. I did use it after that but very sparingly.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Kimber recommends FP-10 and I use that a bunch.

While I was on another board several years back they came out with a
new one called Slipstream. $15 for two ounces, but I decided to try it.
WOW! I'm impressed. I use it for the slide and rails, with FP-10 for the
rest of it.
. . . WARNING, warning War Story . . . SIL was up here for vacation a
few years back with a brand new, in the box, Colt. He was cleaning it
one night because we were going to the range the next day.
I suggested the Slipstream, and his expression was "ok, Father in law, I'll
try it" and handed it to me to put the Slipstream on. I did and handed it
back. Talk about your deer in the head lights expression. His immediate
response was WHERE DO I GET SOME?

IMO, use what ever you like.
What I use works fine for me.
YOU need to use what works best for you.

P.S. I think motor oil is for cars. I'll use oil developed for guns.
MY . . . CHOICE.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
SR1911SHOOTER said:
I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 after the hunt! And whatever oil is on my bench.
Usually 3 in 1, been using it since I was a pup. (1940)
Blackie

Just out of curiosity, what were you using 3 in 1 oil for in 1940? :)

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
When I Was A Pup All My Old Man Had In Our House Was Hoppe's #9 & 3in1 Oil.... The Rest Haden't Been Invented Yet ....

5of7

Hunter
Anything that will adequately lubricate the internal parts of a diesel engine, certainly should adequately lubricate a 1911. 8)

dickn52

Bearcat
Decided to stick with Tetra Gun Grease as that is what I used for my shotgun hinges when I shot competition. If it stood up to 600 rounds of 12 gauge a weekend, then my SR-1911's should do fine. Thanks everyone.