1911 Builder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Not a Ruger question but this is the only gun forum that I subscribe to.
I decided to try and build a 1911. Mostly as a hobby project during the lockdown. My progress has not gotten beyond picking out and buying all the parts. As I get ready to do the actual fitting, I'm having second thoughts about doing it myself. It's basically turning out to be my dream 1911 and now I don't want to subject it to a learning curve. Not to mention I have a lot of money invested into it already. Are there any pistolsmiths out there that will build a gun out of a box of parts, or is that insulting to ask of him? It's all high end parts so he won't be working with sub-par materials. I could ask a local gun smith but for what it's turning out to be I'd like it to be done right. I ordered both the frame and slide from Caspian but apparently their gunsmith retired so they don't fit parts anymore.

Enigma

Hunter
There are a number of 'smiths that build 1911s that way. Their work is generally considered at least 'medium-tier,' and priced accordingly. There are several on the 1911 Addicts Forum. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll pass on some of their contact info.

jgt

Buckeye
By the time you purchased the tools and books needed to build a quality gun you could have the custom gun built. If you plan to build more than one and study the process well enough to build an accurate and reliable custom gun then the tools would be needed and well worth the investment.
My advice is to contact a good custom builder and tell him the truth about your situation. I think you would find a builder that would be willing to take on the build or he could refer you to one that would. Good luck in your endeavor.

Latest posts