RULES FOR POSTING CLASSIFIEDS: READ THESE BEFORE YOU POST

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Per the request of many members...let us know if there are any concerns. It is common sense stuff, but the whole internet thing is new to many folks - May help if you are a first-timer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Post an asking price, period. No Auctions, No Links to Auctions. (Simply use the new Auction Section for these items.) Items offered for trade should have a reasonable dollar value posted.

2) Your state of residence must be included in your profile. Posts without a state listed will be deleted.

3) Please leave the post up after the sale...so that others can get ballpark asking prices in the future.

4) Be civil.

5) Sell and buy at your own risk...There have been several reports of a scam artist wanting to send payments to a Nigerian email scam. Use common sense and follow up with your buyer and seller. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. We suggest strongly that if you do sell anything of value or transact a firearm you contact the person directly before you proceed.

6) Any criticisms you may have regarding the item listed for sale should be addressed privately via the PM system. This includes any alternate price "offers".

7) We have noted instances where bad results have occurred when an email address or telephone number is posted openly in an advertisement. Scammers abound. We recommend that all initial contacts between sellers and buyers be made via the PM system where contact information can be exchanged securely.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let the moderators or the admins know if anything seems fishy by using the report button.

Last edited by a moderator:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Is it fair to ask that if one is not buying/inquiring with intent to buy, etc. that one not post clutter on an ad?

Wish it didn't need to be said... I find way too many disparaging comments or "you'll never get that price" quips on for sale posts. That's why there is a PM feature, for one-to-one exchanges.

Very rude to the seller and just plain bad form for a classifieds area.

OK, somebody has to say this! We have a couple of recent ads where the photos are just out of control. It's not a matter of file size, it's a matter of how many pixels wide and how many pixels high. I'm running a monitor at 1680x1050 so I can imagine what it's like for people running lower resolutions.

It's frustrating when you open an ad and a bunch of photos load and, when it is all loaded, you still have NO IDEA what the gun looks like! You just know what 1/3 of it looks like. Plus the carpet or the couch. It isn't acceptable to say "that's how they come out of my camera." My DSLR outputs a very large photo. If I want to post something here, that photo goes into some type of image editing software and I adjust the size. I usually set the horizontal pixel count to 800 or maybe 1000 at the most. Then the software resizes the image to fit that measurement. A happy by-product is that you are also greatly reducing the megabyte size of the file. There is no reason to be uploading images that are multi-megabyte.

Flash

Buckeye
Why can't buyers clarify their intentions with a simple "I'll take it" instead of this nonsense of "PM sent"? That could mean anything and it basically locks them in to negotiate for the item. I feel like members have to type in code, rather then let their intentions known to everyone else.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
My guess is that "PM Sent" means one of the three options

1) I sent you an email seeing if you want to trade for something...
2)I want to send you a lowball offer..
3) Will your FFL receive from an Individual or will you ship to 03ffl?

Even if I see a PM sent...feel free to post an "I'll take it". If they say no...they have to reply in the thread.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
Only slightly off topic is the annoyance I have when I scroll through an entire ad, liking what I see, and in the very last post seeing "Sold" or even worse, not even a sold indication. As a courtesy to all potential buyers please edit your topic to indicate sold!

And what value does sold "pending funds" add?

Joe S.

Hunter
And what value does sold "pending funds" add?

What I mean when I say it is that I have a potential sell but the money isn't in my hands yet. In other words, admin, please don't delete this thread so that if buyer backs out between saying "I'll take it" and actually putting the money in my hands all I have to do is remove sold pending funds and the ad is open again. That is easier than recreating the ad.

I agree with adding sold in subject line.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
I'm glad to see someone agrees about adding sold! That burns me as it really takes so little effort by the seller and saves numerous people from wasting their time. And it still doesn't prevent people that are curious about the gun, pictures,and price etc., to scan the thread.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Joseywales said:
Can we ban sellers who remove their sold items, more speficially the price in the ad? It's getting rediculous that folks can't follow simple rules.

Per the posted rules this is optional.

3) Please leave the post up after the sale...so that others can get ballpark asking prices in the future. This is an optional request only.

GKC

Blackhawk
What about indicating that the item is also for sale on other forums?

I put up an ad here for some LCP magazines a couple of days ago...today, I noticed that my motorcycle forum has a miscellaneous stuff for sale section, so I posted them there, not thinking I'd get any takers. I got a buyer within 15 minutes! (Not complaining about this forum in any way...just explaining why my ad here now has sold without any responses indicated here.)

I don't want to violate any rules, so I thought I would ask for future reference.

Cholo

Staff member
Host the pics to a website, like PhotoBucket, and copy the IMG code. You won't see the pic unless you hit the "preview" button or "submit".

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
How do I edit the original title of my classified add to reflect a price drop or if it is sold? I can bump the add and add copy to that bump but I cannot figure out how to address the original title itself.

Andrew

Rompin Ruger

Bearcat
Read thru everything I can, but can't find if there is a requirement for a "newbie" to have X # of posts or be registered "Y" days prior to being allowed to list in classifieds ...

Anyone clue me??? I Like the rest of the rules, especially the request to leave it but mark sold. I can't tell how many times on other sites, I may have had my heart flutter seeing a title that flipped my trigger and then open it to see it sold but never marked ...

Not every site allows editing title, but it's nice to see one can here!

Thanks for any update on rules regarding "time in grade" before allowing to post!

Rompin Ruger

Posting a "PM sent" note will alert the thread poster to check his PMs that he has someone with interest in his offering but has a question about it or whatever. Better than cluttering up the thread with the questions, etc.

A "PM sent" post does not constitute an offer to buy.

:mrgreen:

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
Is there any where on this site to post disputes with seller's who fail to deliver. Can this just be put in the classified section. Someone on here claims to have sent an item but cannot/willnot produce a Tracking no. Would like some guidance before posting the name etc in the classified section

Status
Not open for further replies.