SPF Custom Half Stock Hawken 58 cal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jgraham1

Buckeye
SPF

Up for sale is a custom half stock Hawken rifle I picked up from a dealer in Southern Virginia. It was built along the lines of a late Hawken rifle using American Black Walnut. I do not recall the builder's name, but he fit the parts correctly.

It has the classic crescent buttplate with a traditional iron toeplate that ends in a beavertail. The beavertail cheekpiece is traditional late Hawken with a length of pull of 13-5/8".

The 36-inch straight octagon barrel was made by Green Mountain Barrels in .50 caliber that I recently sent to Robert Hoyt to open up to .58 caliber, with a 1x66 twist, for a patched round ball. There are two wedge keys with oval escutcheons and a L&R slanted hooked breech plug and tang. A Johnson peep sight was installed, as was a Rocky Mountain front sight with a silver blade and copper base. The original rear sight dovetail has a plus in it.

A percussion lock and double set triggers are L&R and were used with a late style triggerguard. The long trigger bar is anchored to the long tang with two bolts and wood screw. The lock is secured with a single lock bolt and Hawken lock bolt escutcheon.

The hickory ramrod has an iron end threaded for 10x32 and passes through two Hawken iron ramrod pipes and entry pipe.

The rifle had been shot when it was 50 caliber and most of the small dings in the wood were removed during the re-finishing, but not all of them. So, the rifle looks a bit used, but not abused. The metal has been glass bedded, weighs about 10 pounds, and balances near the entry pipe. It was set up for hunting with the peep sight I had Hoyt install. All the metal has been browned and the stock finished in walnut stain and linseed oil.

Selling for $1500 shipped directly to you from Springfield, Virginia. I accept cash, MO and personal checks. No trades or PayPal. Nice example of a Hawken rifle. I have not shot the rifle since receiving it back from Hoyt and need the funds for another project. Contact me with any questions.

Jerry