No 30-06 for Deer This Season

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
Well it looks like I won't' be deer hunting with my 30-06 Ruger this season...Almost 10 yrs' ago I "loaned " my 30-06 Mark II to my son...It seems that every time I tried to reclaim it he needed it for "another hunt". I recently finally got it back in late May of this yr. No ammo though...Well I have been on the ammo search since May and have come up 0...Can't even find brass or boolits! I got plenty of primers though LOL. I have other rifles but after the long absence of the 30-06 I kinda wanted to get aquainted with it again. I guess I have to carry my 45-70 Browning 1885.

hittman

Staff member
Don't know where you're at but …. There was some in a local store here recently. You look on line?

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
In Va. I found some 165 HPJBT at 70.00 for 20 rounds! Thats 3 times what it should cost and I will not bend over and pay that much...

gunzo

Buckeye
There's brass & bullets available on Gunbroker.

Brass some places, bullets at others:
Blue Collar Reloading
Midsouth Shooters Supply
Grafs

Etc.

BABore

Bearcat
I looked, 30 seconds!

https://www.shootersproshop.com/30-06-springfield-180gr-accubond-trophy-grade-ammunition-blem.html

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
It's all over ammoseek, no excuse not to use .30-06 for hunting this year: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-06

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the ideas on aquiring ammo...However the ammo I seek and need is way more expensive than I can afford ( limited SS income ) At 71 with health issues The heavier bullets beat me up so I don't shoot anything above 165gr. I go to a local gun show next week and see if I can find some brass and bullets...I have primers and powder...

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
G2 thanks for the offer. I found some Starline brass and Hornady 165Gr. JHPBT from a neighbor this afternoon. We made a deal. I traded some 223 for the 30-06 stuff. Win/Win for us both as we are both retired and living on SS.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Just was digging around in an ammo drawer for some 30-06 Win silvertips I have left from a many moons ago moose hunt.

hey are in hiding but did find 2x20 Weatherby ultra vel 150 gr x bullets. Ill sight those in and shoot 1/2 box just to be sure for a potential elk hunt. I drew a permit after 25 tries but dont know if my knees will allow.

Also found a couple boxes of Rem corelokts 165 gr.. Not sure which would be better.

The "X" bullets will give you more penetration while the Core-Lokt will produce a wider frontal area. Choice depends on where and how you'll be hunting OR go with the more accurate of the two.
Cow elk or bull? This makes a big diff since a medium sized cow is not that much bigger than a big buck deer. My 25/06 has killed 5 cows w/o a failure at ranges of 200-350 yards using Nosler E-Tip factory loads which I feel perform very much like the Barnes 'X' bullets.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
First time deer hunter here.

I wanted a fancy bolt action deer rifle but the market had different ideas. Nothing available. Instead, I'm out almost every day with a cheap shotgun, slug barrel and foster slugs. Haven't gotten a deer yet but am realizing that I really don't want an expensive weapon to take deer.

Nope. I'd rather let the deer get real close before I take a shot and don't have to worry so much about an old Mossberg getting beat up and rained on out in the woods.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Just rec internet ad today from someone. Rem ammo 30-06-corelokt bullets-30-06, $40 for a box of 20..

5 yrs ago around deer season they were 15 or 16 bucks and sometime w/ a rebate if you bought 2 boxes.

Latest posts