Basic spare parts kit for Ruger No 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmol50

Single-Sixer
Is anyone aware of a commercially available Ruger No 1 spare parts kit? I've Googled around and don't see anything. If not, what parts are prone to breakage and what should I order from a place like Numrich or Brownells?

I recently inherited a couple of old Marlins and they came with some basic spare parts that are now pretty hard to get hold of. So it got me thinking I might want to put something together for my No 1. Just trying to be prepared...

NikA

Buckeye
Single shot rifles are pretty simple beasts, but they often require a good amount of fitting. You might buy a spare hammer spring and extractor; any other parts I would expect to require gunsmithing to install and frankly are unlikely to ever wear out if the gun is properly maintained.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
Excellent, thanks for the advice @NikA. I'll order up a spare hammer spring and extractor if those are the common wear bits.

Understood on parts requiring fitting/gunsmithing. Most any firearm repair in my life requires a gunsmith. I've heard stories of folks having a gun in the shop for 12-18 months as they wait for the gunsmith to procure a particular part. We're not in that situation with the No 1 today, but could we be if/when Ruger stops making the No 1? What causes a parts shortage? Is it only when a company goes under?

Single-Sixer
According to Clayton's book, the No. 1 has 55 parts, not exactly simple, but then again I have never heard of someone wearing one out, or parts prone to breakage. If anyone could supply a story in that regard it would be interesting to hear. I would think judicious maintenance would be the best spare part. Even the springs are probably good for generations. YMMV

jmol50

Single-Sixer
Excellent - thanks for the feedback @021. Seems like I just need to worry about the fiddly bits on a couple of older Marlins. A 56 Levermatic, 39D, and a Camp 45.

Latest posts