Ruger No. 3 Liberty Rifle Values

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BorderGuard

Bearcat
Hi,

I'm helping an elderly friend who is looking to get rid of his Ruger No. 3 Liberty Models in .22 Hornet, .30-40 Krag, and 45-70. These rifles are in very nice condition, but have been fired. I don't have pictures, but they are conservatively 95% and probably closer to 98% condition. The down side is that he had recoil pads professionally installed on both the .30-40 and the .45-70. The .22 Hornet is in it's original configuration. He does not have boxes for them. He is looking for a value on them, and I don't really know what they bring. A gunbroker search shows from around $900 to $1200. Do the 1976 Liberty models have any additional value? How much would the recoil pads detract from the value? Any info or help is appreciated.

Thanks,

chet15

Hawkeye
BorderGuard said:
Hi,

I'm helping an elderly friend who is looking to get rid of his Ruger No. 3 Liberty Models in .22 Hornet, .30-40 Krag, and 45-70. These rifles are in very nice condition, but have been fired. I don't have pictures, but they are conservatively 95% and probably closer to 98% condition. The down side is that he had recoil pads professionally installed on both the .30-40 and the .45-70. The .22 Hornet is in it's original configuration. He does not have boxes for them. He is looking for a value on them, and I don't really know what they bring. A gunbroker search shows from around $900 to $1200. Do the 1976 Liberty models have any additional value? How much would the recoil pads detract from the value? Any info or help is appreciated.

Thanks,

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly with pricing... But having custom pads on two of them will drastically affect value to a collector... so the Liberty portion/extra value gets thrown out the window with that I.M.O. as well as they've been shot. The Hornet should have good collector value however.
And who knows? Somebody looking for a shooter #3 in .45-70 or .30-40 might just give a little extra for it with the way any gun prices have gone lately.
Chet15

G2

Hunter
IMO,

The "Liberty" only adds if the gun is LNIB.

Added recoil pads are going to be up to the buyer, some will appreciate it and it won't be a concern.

The 22H seem to always pull the top end of the value range, but GB fees, Sales Tax, Buyer fee, etc. have really detracted from the platform. But with that said in the current marketplace nothing seems to mater. :roll:

Know what you want and post on Guns International. Good place to for all 3…

Again, My Opinion.

BorderGuard

Bearcat
So if we use the $900-$1200 value, how much do you subtract for the buttpads? I was thinking about 200 bucks. I realize these are just shooters as there are no boxes and the two have the added recoil pads, so $750 for the .45-70 and $800 for the .30-40? $900 for the unmolested .22 Hornet? I'm just basing these on the sold ones from gunbroker and forgetting about the Liberty Model adding any value since these are just shooters.

that is very good pricing and at that they will ( should ) sell, I know around here they would, its better to price them right and move them..I ALWAYS do it that way, been for as long as I can remember...that way its a win -win for the seller, as well as the buyer....last No. 3 .22 hornet I sold for $ 850 and I made money for the seller 8) :roll: :wink:

as noted above, the "200th Year" premium has to be NIB, original :wink:

I remember selling ALL my old No.3's ( had all the calibers, including a "K hornet") to Doris Campbell......wow :shock:

May she and Bob RIP......... :(

Latest posts