American Ranch in 7.62x39

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trumpet

Bearcat
So, I picked one of these up the other day. Initially, I was holding out for a Howa mini, but this came along first so I didn't feel like waiting God-knows how long, so I picked it up. I haven't even had it to the range yet, and I'm more and more impressed with this little rifle! Since I don't have any Mini-30 mags, I'll probably order the AR magwell from Ruger for $20 and use 7.62x39 AR mags. They're certainly cheaper than mini 30 mags.

I'm also trying to decide on a scope. I'm thinking something like a PA 1-6 ACSS would be about perfect for this?PA 1-6 ACSS

I'm also contemplating the Nodak sight set, but since these 7.62x39 RAR are inexplicably accurate, I thought a scope would be better.

Then I fell into a YouTube wormhole and found this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InDzmC8fjVM&t=74s

That bolt handle looks pretty damn slick!

So who else has one of these slick little rifles, and what have you done to it?

ottodylan20

Bearcat
I have one I bought 5ish? Maybe 4 years ago? Other the top it with a 2-7x33 redfield I've done nothing to it. I don't think it needs it. I've taken 5 deer with it so far and regularly take it out to 350yds on steel. It's a very impressive rifle/cartridge combo.

I like it so much I picked up a ranch in 5.56, with I had shooting 2" groups at 300yds on the first out.

A very impressive line of rifles. I think I get the 6.5 grendel next!

My complaint with those so-called 'tactical' scopes is the weight. If you want a good quality, clear scope with excellent low light capability and adjustment tracking---get a VORTEX 2-7x32 Crossfire.
You can spend more but that won't necessarily get you more. A scope magnification beginning with 1X doesn't really help unless you've bought into the 'both eyes open' shooting fad.
I received a 'gamble purchase' scope today. I gambled $50 on whether it would be junk or maybe a tad better. After a quick visual and clamping it on an AR, I found the glass clear and the crosshairs crisp. I'll give a quick review as soon as I can find time-- you know, run the adjustments back and forth and see if it tracks OK. Maybe see how well it compares during low light. Maybe not something one stakes one's life on but 'good enough for gov't work'.

I'm in the 'make the scope fit the need/capability of the rifle' crowd. A 600 yard scope on a 200 yard rifle is illogical. Everyone has their own preferences so not my place to comment otherwise.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I put a Leupold 3x9 Vari-X II on mine. It is one of the earlier ones with the friction windage and elevation adjustment dials. Not a 1/4" click dial. I set and forget my scope and the glass is great. Excellent for low light shooting . But hey, it's a Leupold so you would expect that right?

Garth69

Single-Sixer
So, I picked one of these up the other day. Initially, I was holding out for a Howa mini, but this came along first so I didn't feel like waiting God-knows how long, so I picked it up. I haven't even had it to the range yet, and I'm more and more impressed with this little rifle! Since I don't have any Mini-30 mags, I'll probably order the AR magwell from Ruger for $20 and use 7.62x39 AR mags. They're certainly cheaper than mini 30 mags.

I'm also trying to decide on a scope. I'm thinking something like a PA 1-6 ACSS would be about perfect for this?PA 1-6 ACSS

I'm also contemplating the Nodak sight set, but since these 7.62x39 RAR are inexplicably accurate, I thought a scope would be better.

Then I fell into a YouTube wormhole and found this...

That bolt handle looks pretty damn slick!

If you can get to the range with some golden tiger russian ammo you will be well satisfied with what that rifle will do . I have a barra rifle scope on mine. Can't even find a barra scope anywhere but I have three of them and wish I had thirty of them. Clear glass.