Ruger Model 77 MK II Express Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

instructor

Single-Sixer
Very good friend of mine had a Ruger Model 77 MK II that some call the "express" version. It is a true CRF action, very nice French walnut stock, and it is claimed that the quarter rib is actually milled as part of the barrel. Rifle is New in factory box but minus the scope rings(I had some extras so no issue) and has never been shot other than perhaps at the factory??
I bought the rifle and glad I did for it certainly seems to be of high quality in fit and finish, caliber is 30-06 of course.
Question I have are these rifles common and are they considered a fine rifle to Ruger fans?? Thanks for any replies.

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
I've had two, one 30-06 and one 300 Win Mag. I sold the 300 Win Mag only because I have more 330 Win Mag rifles than I needed/wanted. The 300 Win Mag was capable of 1 inch groups at 100 yards with little work on my part and repeated that feat off shooting sticks. The 30-06 is equally accurate and absolutely stunning. I have no current plans to sell it. Great rifle, classic looks, and America's cartridge.

chet15

Hawkeye
instructor said:
Very good friend of mine had a Ruger Model 77 MK II that some call the "express" version. It is a true CRF action, very nice French walnut stock, and it is claimed that the quarter rib is actually milled as part of the barrel. Rifle is New in factory box but minus the scope rings(I had some extras so no issue) and has never been shot other than perhaps at the factory??
I bought the rifle and glad I did for it certainly seems to be of high quality in fit and finish, caliber is 30-06 of course.
Question I have are these rifles common and are they considered a fine rifle to Ruger fans?? Thanks for any replies.

No, not common.
The reason Ruger discontinued them was because everybody was scared of the price. With the way American rifles sell like gangbusters I'm surprised they still have a Hawkeye Rifle series in their lineup.
Chet15

chet15 said:
instructor said:

No, not common.
The reason Ruger discontinued them was because everybody was scared of the price. With the way American rifles sell like gangbusters I'm surprised they still have a Hawkeye Rifle series in their lineup.
Chet15

I totally agree, I wanted one when they came out so bad but just couldn't afford it, and now that I, perhaps, can afford it, I cannot find one as you did…NIB.

Congratulations on probably the finest quality bolt action rifle ever made when WBR was involved in the company.

JFB

Hunter
My Rigby, heavy rifle
5njCssZl.jpg

gatling

Blackhawk
I have one in .416 Rigby. It's superbly accurate with 5744 and Montana Bullet Company cast bullets.

20190705_3266-600.jpg

I have another one in .375 H&H that is new in the box with even better wood. I'll post a photo of it later.

HBEnfield

Bearcat
I've been wanting one of these Express rifles for years. An Express in 30-06 was a bit of a "holy grail" gun for me.
After being out bid on quite a few auctions over the years, or finding one for sale in a retail setting with an exorbitant price, I finally was able to secure one at a reasonable price just last week.
Can't wait for it to arrive at my FFL and finally own one of these gorgeous rifles.

instructor

Single-Sixer
I for one view the Ruger "express" as one of if not the very best bolt action rifle made by an American firearms manufacturer. The source for mine had another one in 270 caliber which is a fine caliber, but felt the '06 being the right one for such a classic American rifle. Have not fired mine and in the event you fire yours look forward to hearing your thoughts on its performance. Congrats on your find!!

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
My express rifles get used. The 300 accounted for a nice moose. The 30-06 a variety of fine eating.

HBEnfield

Bearcat
6GUNSONLY said:
Did they make any of the Express rifles in 7mm Rem. Mag?

Yes they did but I have no idea how many. Catalogue listed calibers were 25-06, 270, 7mm, 30-06 Sprg, 300 Win, 338 Win

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I bought one of the M77 MkII Magnums almost 20 years ago. Always wanted a 416 Rigby, and made the soon to be wife upset over it, but It has the most gorgeous wood, and is a real shooter, especially with 400 grain Nosler Partitions.
Still haven't taken game with it, but some day...

gprippers

Bearcat
No, not common.
Chet15
They still make the Hawkeye African series rifles.

gprippers

Bearcat
No, not common.
Chet15
HUH? LOL! What? The American line is the cheap line of rifles with the M77's being the top shelf rifles. Americans are Rugers price point rifles/cheap rifles but because they are Ruger built they are decent rifles but in no way are they anywhere close to the M77 line! LOL!