New to Ruger #1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLUndertaker

Bearcat
If I want to do a deep dive into Ruger #1 rifles as a newby to them, what is required reading? Mostly looking for info on history and collecting.

RSIno1

Hunter
Welcome - we will be enablers to your new addiction. It was on my bucket list - now the bucket is overflowing.

Details matter - red pad vs black pad - Pachmayer red pads - 3 screw vs 2 screw triggers - plum coloring.
You'll find nicer wood on older ones. The bean counters have put some 2x4 quality wood on the recent ones - these guns were originally made to fit a niche at any cost not a price point. A couple years have corrosion problems when they used some salt cured wood.
The No1 was Bill Ruger's halo product - the one he didn't care what it cost to build because it would be used to show the companies abilities. The Red Label was his halo shotgun and ruined by the bean counters when they tried to bring out a new cheaper to build one. My rule of thumb is I don't buy one made after Bill Ruger died. My stainless one is the exception just to add the type to my meager collection.

FLUndertaker

Bearcat
All good questions, but I don't know what I don't know. I know the red pad are older but that's about it and just an observation from perusing GB. I am interested in the pistol caliber models so they will match by BKH revolvers. These seem to be less common. A .475 Linebaugh #1 sounds like a hoot! Probably doesn't do anything a 45/70 couldn't do but again it's a pistol caliber. I have a lot to learn.

RSIno1

Hunter
NumeroUno is the guru here. He has a very informative website and some of the rarer models for sale.

http://www.classicsportingarms.com/

Clark

Bearcat
RSIno1 said:
...You'll find nicer wood on older ones. The bean counters have put some 2x4 quality wood on the recent ones - these guns were originally made to fit a niche at any cost not a price point. A couple years have corrosion problems when they used some salt cured wood...

In general I agree with RSI but I think the above points are generalities too broad to live by. I think it was Heliman (or someone else on here) that laid out what they had seen in wood on No. 1's over the years. It's definitely not a straightforward "older is better". My earlier 2000's RSI has some excellent wood for factory fodder.

About the salt-cured wood...I thought that was only Browning who had fell into that pitfall. I've never heard of it any Ruger (77 and No. 1 would be the most likely candidates) but could well be wrong about that.

Clark

FLUndertaker

Bearcat
RSIno1 said:
FLUndertaker said:
SteveRuger said:
Joe Claytons Book, Ruger No.1 is a good place to start.
IMHO.

$259 on Amazon. Yikes. Not saying it's not worth it but that's a pricey book!
Start searching ebay and snag the first one you find. I got mine for $30

Thanks for the heads up. Is the 1983 the latest (only) printing? Seems a long time since to not have an update. No disrespect intended if the author is no longer with us.

RSIno1

Hunter
Clark said:
About the salt-cured wood...I thought that was only Browning who had fell into that pitfall.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=276796&start=0
Thread re: salt issue in Rugers. I had some pictures of one of the bad ones but can't find them. It's noticeable where the stock meets the receiver - it gets a line of corrosion into the blue.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Getting into the thread. I had/have a number 1B in 22-250 manufactured in 1976 or close , as it is a 200th year model! . The stock rusted the pistol grip cap as well as the receiver. Back and forth with Ruger about the issue. It was denied, at first, attributed to poor care on my part! I told them not so. Long story short. Ruger made it right. Butt stock assembly was replaced. Never knew for sure what was done to the receiver. Had the same issue with another 1B in 7mm REM mag. Butt Stock actually split when fired. Had reddish residue present. Sent it to Ruger and it was taken care of without complaint or hesitation. The next one was a 1B in 6mm REM. Split the forearm Totally from front to back. Again, replaced with no hesitation from Ruger. Never gave up on the No 1 and still cherish all of them.

As far as collecting No 1 rifles. You must educate your self throughly. Rugers started out $265.00 which was rather expensive when first offered. Proper ones hsve now escalated to thousand dollar pieces and higher. There are a lot sleepers in No ones. Just know what you are eyeballing. The forum is a great reference.

Good collecting.

RSIno1

Hunter
kevin masten said:
You must educate your self throughly.
+1 My first No1 was my black pad RSI a guy offered to swap it for my Remington XP100 pistol. Then Clayton's book and it's been red pads ever since (except for the stainless one). My favorite but not for rarity or caliber is my 1A - just because it was unfired, new in the box and came with all the goodies a new gun comes with.