Lyman No. 1 Sights?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatling

Blackhawk
A quick question: On the Lyman Ruger No. 1 rifles (like the one shown below), did Lyman (or anyone else) ever offer a set of iron sights or aperture sights that could be attached instead of the scope?

LymanRuger900.jpg

RSIno1

Hunter
I've never seen any. You might be able to machine a couple adapters to fit some iron sights to the existing bases.
Every time I see one of these boxed sets I'm reminded my collection is not complete.

Hi I dont believe so not without drilling and tapping the gun in your picture has eluded me i have the one of a thousand and the overrun gun but not that beauty im jealous

Gramps

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Never satisfied with things as they are, I figured out I could put my Parker Hale #? aperture sight on the rear base (it was designed for 3/8"/11mm grooved 22s), and any target globe front sight fits the front base. It works quite well.
iks5cQU.jpg

Monsai52

Bearcat
I know this thread is 5 months old, but yes, NECR (New England Custom Gun) offers either a "peep" or ghost sight that mounts on the rib instead of one of the scope rings. I just picked up a nice No1 Tropical in 375 H&H and will be ordering one of the ghost sites for it.
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/products.php?cat=338

Best regards,

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Monsai52 said:
I know this thread is 5 months old, but yes, NECR (New England Custom Gun) offers either a "peep" or ghost sight that mounts on the rib instead of one of the scope rings. I just picked up a nice No1 Tropical in 375 H&H and will be ordering one of the ghost sites for it.
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/products.php?cat=338

Best regards,
The problem with that is that these rifles have target scope bases, not the proprietary Ruger bases.

As I noted above, any target aperture rear sight (Anschutz, Kimber, etc.) designed for a ca. 3/8" grooved receiver should work or could easily be made to work (i.e. with shims). The front base is good to go for a target aperture sight.

Gatling - if that is your rifle above, you are very lucky, as there were only 100 of those higher grade Lyman comemmoratives made

But then, mine is one of only about 40 unmarked overrun guns, so . . . . :)

Latest posts