Rare non cataloged M77???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Ruger M-77V MK-I w/ express sights, tang safety 308 cal, Hvy Bbl - RARE
non- catalogued built by Ruger 1985....

On gunbroker. With a factory letter. Anyone ever here of this one?

Hi I have never seen a sight like that on a factory M77 Ruger and the letter only shows it as a model M77V no special designation in my opinion someone added the sights not that im a expert but i do like it

Gramps

SHOOTER

Buckeye
I have read that back in the day Ruger Employees did a lot of one off pieces for themselves and others.

mrs50sls56

Bearcat
I could be wrong, but seem to remember red pad 77's with Rings (77R), with Rings and Express sights (77RS), and Round Top and Express sights (77ST). My .25-06 has the Express sights and a heavier weight barrel profile, much like the one shown. I know that mine came with these sights, from Ruger, because my wife bought it for me NIB, in 1976. The 77V was Rings and Bull Barrel. In summation, it's a 77RS barrel on an action that shipped as a 77V.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I agree on the rear sight. It looks like a Wisner to me. The front sight from one of the old 458's from Numrich would probably fit a Varmint barreled 308. I handled a number of modified Rugers when working at gun counters over the years. 308 Varmints were not uncommon, but I would be uncomfortable selling it as a production gun. Unique, but....?
Bfly

chet15

Hawkeye
Black Fly said:
I agree on the rear sight. It looks like a Wisner to me. The front sight from one of the old 458's from Numrich would probably fit a Varmint barreled 308. I handled a number of modified Rugers when working at gun counters over the years. 308 Varmints were not uncommon, but I would be uncomfortable selling it as a production gun. Unique, but....?
Bfly

Yeah, definitely not factory sights. And as mentioned, it shipped as an M77V which is a heavy varmint barrel that does not have open sights.
Chet15

Latest posts