Mini-14 Operation Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
Hi,
I recently purchased a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle from a friend's son who was in financial difficulties. Though I had little need for the rifle, I was glad to help out a person whom I consider a family member...wife, kid, etc.
Deal is, I'm a single action guy, and aside from my 10/22s, know little about Mini-14s.
Question: in order to engage the safety, I have to hold the bolt to the rear. Is this the way they're supposed to be?
The gun is as new, maybe 50 rounds through it. Shipped in 2012.

Please be gentle,
And thanks,
Jeff

Snake45

Hawkeye
That doesn't sound normal to me. (I don't own a Mini-14, but I do have a Garand and an M1A, same type of safety.)

I do believe the hammer has to be cocked for the safety to be engaged. Are you trying to put it on after dry-snapping the action? That could be the problem.

Snake45 said:
…I do believe the hammer has to be cocked for the safety to be engaged. Are you trying to put it on after dry-snapping the action? That could be the problem.

Correct, in addition to that the safety on mine was mighty stiff before a drop of lube and some working in.

mac66

Single-Sixer
You can pop the trigger assembly off by pulling down on the rear of the trigger guard. Once off you can test/check the safety to see how/if it functions. More than likely it is just stiff and needs a bit of lube

Latest posts