Ruger No. 1 takedown

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Single-Sixer
Had a text chat with Lee Hadaway of The Arms Room LLC about making a takedown No. 1. Not sure how or if he would attempt it, but I wanted to gauge interest in a potential project. How do you feel about it, interesting or not? Would you buy one? At the very least, do you consider it interesting?

Takedowns are always interesting. All but two of my current long guns take down into two pieces--pump, double, and single shotguns, single shot rifles. The only two that aren't takedown are two Win 1885 single shots--I never could afford an original '85 takedown and won't have any original historic guns like that converted. A #1, I might!

Anyone who thinks takedowns aren't accurate should shoot a well tuned T-C Contender Carbine or Encore!

hittman

Staff member
021 said:
... Would you buy one?

... do you consider it interesting?

No and no.

But that's just me. Never once in my life have I ever wished for or needed a rifle I could disassemble for convenience of carry or anything else.

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
021 said:
... Would you buy one?

... do you consider it interesting?

No and no.

But that's just me. Never once in my life have I ever wished for or needed a rifle I could disassemble for convenience of carry or anything else.

Not just for that, possibly also to change caliber, or even a shotgun barrel like the old savage 99 did. It certainly wouldn't be for everyone.

bcp

Bearcat
Have to solve the problem of the scope mount interfering with the forearm hanger bar. And the forearm/receiver joint not being flat.

Maybe just a 1/4 turn takedown. Remove the receiver lip and make a new forearm.

Bruce

Single-Sixer
Sugar River said:
I suspect any serious interest in a takedown No 1 will be inversely proportional to the $$$$.

Indeed. Solving two problems at once---how to make it, and how to make it cost effective. It has been done, I'm not sure what the man who did it spent, but he seemed to be a damned good 'smith.