New American Predator 223- Please help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I'm waiting on a background check to come through on a new American Predator in 223, which takes AR-15 mags. I like to start load development with the bullet ogive kissing the lands (in this case, 77gr OTM's), so if possible, I'd like to convert my gun to use Ruger's AICS mags, which allow for an OAL of up to 2.5" (AR-15 mags will only allow for 2.26". Ruger customer service says they have not tested this conversion, but they will sell me the magwell conversion kit. Do any of you guys know if this magwell swap will work? I'm worried that the action or bolt might be configured in such a way that the 223 AICS mags won't be compatible. BTW, I asked this question on the Rugersmithing section, but I figured asking here would get more folks reading it, so I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rule about redundant posts on multiple forums. Thanks

BadMatrix

Bearcat
I have the same predator. Shoots very well. What can be achieved by your modification and why do you want it to what end result? Is this something normally done?

recumbent

Buckeye
I have the same rifle. With the mag that came with the rifle I had a feeding problem, so I bought 2, 10 round Stoner mags and they feed great.
You can buy single round followers for ar mags and just load your ammo 1 round at a time. I'm going to 3D print one this evening and try it tomorrow.